PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I can not put wireless atheros adapter in a specific channel

DeepSeaNautilus
January 5th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Hello I am learning to use aircrack.
I have put my card in monitor mode and used airodump-ng to capture ivs packets to a file. Now I want to use aireplay to inject packets and capture the ivs more rapidly.
The problem I have is that when I try to associate my wifi card with the ap to inject packets( but aireplay ), it shows the following error:
The ap is in channel x but ath0 is in channel y ( x and y are just invented channels )
I tried to set up ath0 channel with the following command
Code:

ifconfig ath0 down
iwconfig ath0 channel x
ifconfig ath0 up

But it didn't work. Apparently, when I type iwconfig ath0 channel x, it does not change to channel x but to a random channel. I also tried with the following commands:
Code:

wlanconfig destroy ath0
airmon-ng start wifi0 x

But it did not work, it keeps on choosing a random channel between 1 and 12.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dmizer
January 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM
According to man iwconfig:

When using Managed mode, most often the Access Point dictates
the channel and the driver may refuse the setting of the fre-
quency.

This means your driver may not be able to do what you're tring to do. What wireless card are you using?

DeepSeaNautilus
January 14th, 2009, 05:59 AM
According to man iwconfig:

This means your driver may not be able to do what you're tring to do. What wireless card are you using?

I was not using managed mode but monitor mode. I found what my problem was: before I typed iwconfig ath0 channel c command y had opened a terminal and used airodump-ng ath0 command. Therefore the channel of ath0 changed randomly to detect networks in all the channels, and when I used aireplay to associate with a specific AP, it would not let me because the other command was dictating the channel. I solved this using first airodump-ng ath0 to detect all networks, then I chose one and then used airodump-ng again but set to a specific channel, this way aireplay-ng worked just fine.

dmizer
January 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I was not using managed mode but monitor mode. I found what my problem was: before I typed iwconfig ath0 channel c command y had opened a terminal and used airodump-ng ath0 command. Therefore the channel of ath0 changed randomly to detect networks in all the channels, and when I used aireplay to associate with a specific AP, it would not let me because the other command was dictating the channel. I solved this using first airodump-ng ath0 to detect all networks, then I chose one and then used airodump-ng again but set to a specific channel, this way aireplay-ng worked just fine.

Glad you got it figured out. Sorry I wasn't much help though ...