PDA

View Full Version : amahi and mythbuntu comparison

jtb74129
January 5th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I know that amahi is a fedora based media center/homeserver, but aside from that, are there any comparisons between two?

funkydan2
January 5th, 2009, 02:37 AM
From a quick look at Amahi's Features (http://www.amahi.org/features/gallery) it doesn't seem that these tools are really aiming at doing the same kinds of things 'out of the box' (though you could setup the same features from either starting point).

Mythbuntu is focussed towards making a Home Theatre PC (or a network of such things) whereas Amahi seems to be focussed towards making a home network server (with things like backup, file searching, media streaming - but not HTPC).

Of course, if Amahi looks like it does everything you want except MythTV, I'm sure you could easily install MythTV on that Fedora based system. Alternatively, if TV recording/wathing (MythTV) is what you're main goal is, and the other things are peripheral, then Mythbuntu (or Mythdora) might be a better starting point.

jtb74129
January 5th, 2009, 03:02 AM
From a quick look at Amahi's Features (http://www.amahi.org/features/gallery) it doesn't seem that these tools are really aiming at doing the same kinds of things 'out of the box' (though you could setup the same features from either starting point).

Mythbuntu is focussed towards making a Home Theatre PC (or a network of such things) whereas Amahi seems to be focussed towards making a home network server (with things like backup, file searching, media streaming - but not HTPC).

Of course, if Amahi looks like it does everything you want except MythTV, I'm sure you could easily install MythTV on that Fedora based system. Alternatively, if TV recording/wathing (MythTV) is what you're main goal is, and the other things are peripheral, then Mythbuntu (or Mythdora) might be a better starting point.

I would like to have both feature sets together. I can't get fedora or amahi to run on my sytems and I like ubuntu. Just having problems setting up ubuntu server. Do you know of anything that has both feature sets. i am a noob to Linux.

I appreciate you help in this!!!

fredsource
January 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
If you delve a little more into Amahi you will see that it is evolving into a platform with "one-click" installable packages over the web (one that the developers are looking at is MythTV!)

I'd give the project about a month and then I think it will meet your needs :D

jtb74129
January 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM
If you delve a little more into Amahi you will see that it is evolving into a platform with "one-click" installable packages over the web (one that the developers are looking at is MythTV!)

I'd give the project about a month and then I think it will meet your needs :D

I just wish Amahi would get the Ubuntu version done. I read the forum last night on Amahi and they are adding the file server side to it. Fedora has to many problems with nvidia cards. Thanks for your advice.