PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network Manager connection to "(none)"

csete
January 4th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I'm testing out a new Netgear WNDR3300 Dual Band router (firmware V1.0.29_1.0.29NA) with my Dell Inspiron E1505. My laptop has Broadcom Draft N wireless card:

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
logical name: eth1
version: 01
serial: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl ip=192.168.0.2 latency=0 module=wl multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn

I'm using the Broadcom STA wl driver and things are working ok when connected to the G network SSID (using wpa/tkip). When I switch over to the N network, I get a message that "You are now connected... " showing the correct SSID. Once connected, Network Manager shows no connection in the icon and the hover text says: "Wireless network connection to '(none)'". The network is still alive (I'm posting this via the N network) and yet it doesn't appear to be quite right. I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do to fix this up. The speed is double that of the G network, so it seems to be working at least to some extent.

> iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11 Nickname:""
Access Point: Not-Associated

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

> iwlist eth1 rate
eth1 no bit-rate information.

What other information could be helpful in debugging? I see Broadcom just released a new version of the driver a few days ago, but I also see from reading the forums that this is non-trivial to add to Ubuntu. Would it help? Does anyone have an idea if/when this new driver might be available as a deb?

I appreciate any help that people could provide. I need to decide if this router is worth keeping or if I should return it.

Thanks,
Craig

pcjunkie
March 12th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I am getting this message too now.

3 days ago I attempted to browse to Localhost/xampp while offline and Fire fox locked me out.

After attempting a few things I set /etc/dbus-1/system-d/NetworkManager

<policy at_console="true"> to <policy at_console="false">

In an attempt to get FF to go to localhost and it worked. However going back to a wireless enevironment failed and the network manager failed.

I reset it back to true and while the network connected, the notify and connection information was lost and not replaced. Connecting to LAN produces a "connecting" icon that sticks but never shows connected. Its like the icons have hit time warp...

It now states: wireless network connection to ("none")
No information is available through this system. Accessing another network is going to be difficult I imagine..

csete
March 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I created a bug in launchpad for this problem quite some time ago, but there have been no changes or information added to the bug.