PDA

View Full Version : Permission Help

kineem
January 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hello. I am software developer. I need to create a directory in Ubuntu Home directory via software interface that any files can be copied into and new subdirectories can be added into. I tried to create the directory with 0667 permission. But when I tried to add a subdirectory in it system denied. Then I tried the main directory with 0777 permission. This allowed me to place subdirectories in it. But I want to ask creating a directory with 0777 permission may create any security or system issue?

Thanks.

gjoellee
January 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Hello. I am software developer. I need to create a directory in Ubuntu Home directory via software interface that any files can be copied into and new subdirectories can be added into. I tried to create the directory with 0667 permission. But when I tried to add a subdirectory in it system denied. Then I tried the main directory with 0777 permission. This allowed me to place subdirectories in it. But I want to ask creating a directory with 0777 permission may create any security or system issue?

Thanks.

with the 777 everyone can read/write/delete it might be a secutity issue.

chmod 775 will be more secure

ajgreeny
January 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM
In view of your apparent uncertainty, I wonder if you are aware that you can make a new directory with a terminal command
sudo mkdir /path/to/directory/directoryname for anywhere in the system and the same command without sudo in your /home.

If you want them all to have 0667 permissions just make all of them first and then set permissions after. Or perhaps I have misunderstood the manner in which you are trying to do this and the reasons why.

kineem
January 5th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Thanks gjoellee. It is not a terminal issue. I create the directory and also its permission via software interface. As stated in my first post, 0667 created problem but 0777 just worked ok. But I thought it might be problematic for security. 0775 works now,too. And I hope 0775 will be more secure for Ubuntu.

jpkotta
January 5th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Directories should usually be listable (that's the meaning of the execute bit for directories).

kineem
January 5th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Directories should usually be listable (that's the meaning of the execute bit for directories).

Hello. What does it mean in 0*** way? Does 0775 assures your suggestion?