PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] screen resolution

garrydog
January 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hi
I am still trying to change my screen resolution ,if i go to system ,preferences ,screen resolution .in the panel is unknown and the only resolutions are 800x600 and 640x480 (4.3).
If i go to appearance and visual effects ,it is asking me to activate a driver ,ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRXT graphics driver .Now if i do activate this driver ,the moniter go's black and displays " cant dislpay this image".
If I do this I dont know what to do to get the moniter back on ,the last time i did it i had to re install ubuntu .
Can anyone help thanks.

DWBC
January 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
This is the same problem I am working through with the assistance of others on this Forum. I am experiencing it on a older Compaq running Ubuntu 8.04 and may be a bug of that distrib regarding this computer. If you do a search in this forum for 'display adapter and screen resolution' you will find several threads relating to this issue.

What distrib of Ubuntu and what machine/adapter are you using?

garrydog
January 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Hi
I think it is 8.10 Ubintu ,my card is an ATI radion 610,I am running an acer aspire .
This problem is a pain in the neck ,must be so easy to fix ,but just can't do it .

DWBC
January 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Check out the following threads.

Display adapter and screen resolution
and
lost screen resolution Ubuntu 8.04

The information seems to be that 8.10 isn't allowing users to manually configure their display options. I've been having the problem in 8.04 and the solution proposed by Mapes12 seems to work for that distrib.

DWBC
January 4th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Also see thread...

Screen Resolution Stuck at 800x600