PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Solutions for an Ubuntu Box providing Internet Access to a Mac

Zephyr_Arsland
January 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hi everyone, I apologize for the long title but this is my first post and I'm a bit at a loss here.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 on my desktop PC and I'm quite happy with it. I recently bought a Mac laptop (An aluminum MacBook), since I do a lot of Photoshop and things, and thought it might be useful. I was right about that, but I overlooked the networking side of things. You see, what I know about networks (specially cross-OS networking) you could write on the head of matchstick.

Simply put, Ubuntu connects to Internet via a Cisco 677 DSL modem. I would like to know which options I have to make the Mac share that internet connection. Must I buy a router, or a wireless card of some sort? I know the MacBook uses AirportExtreme technology by default, but I don't know if Ubuntu is in friendly terms with it.

I'm sorry if it's too vague, but I honestly can't describe the issue better. I hope you overlook my shortcomings and help me a bit. Cheers!

Iowan
January 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharing) is a help page for Internet Connection Sharing. Toward the end is another link for wireless.

Zephyr_Arsland
January 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Thank you kindly!