PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] External HDD Help

MattyG
January 4th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Ok, Now what I did is I have an external Hard Drive that is formatted to Linux.But I would like to format it back to Windows so I can partion it for both. But when I try and Run the Windows Vista disk it says I don't have the proper boot files. And when I'm running windows I can't see or access the External drive at all. So what I need help with is finding the windows boot record to put onto the drive and also need to know the best way to do that. Thanks in advance for any help.

taurus
January 4th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Use gparted (install it if you don't have it in System -> Administration) and reformat it to ntfs.

sadaruwan12
January 4th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Use gparted (install it if you don't have it in System -> Administration) and reformat it to ntfs.
Yes, go back to Linux use gParted and remove all the linux partiotions you've and then try it with your Vista.I think this should work.

-kg-
January 4th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Ok, Now what I did is I have an external Hard Drive that is formatted to Linux.But I would like to format it back to Windows so I can partion it for both. But when I try and Run the Windows Vista disk it says I don't have the proper boot files. And when I'm running windows I can't see or access the External drive at all. So what I need help with is finding the windows boot record to put onto the drive and also need to know the best way to do that. Thanks in advance for any help.

Or as long as you're about it (and if you have both Vista and Ubuntu installed on another hard drive), while you have GPartEd running (either from your installation or from the Live CD) instead of reformatting the external drive to ntfs, just shrink that partition to whatever you desire, then create a new partition and format that to ntfs.

That way, you accomplish everything you want to do in one GPartEd session.

See "How To Partition" (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition) for further information on doing this.

MattyG
January 16th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Ok, I went on my ubuntu and I can see the drive now but I cant even edit it from there. But now when I try and boot that drive it dosent work at all.