PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] file permission this is absolutely driving me crazy

rburkartjo
January 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
i get the following error message when i open the help files on a number of games. "the file /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index.html could not be read. this file might be missing or you do not have permission to read it.
no the files are there and i can open them using the application dillo (which opens a list of help files for various games) it is just when i try to open the help files from the various games themselves that they wont open. any ideas been playing around for this for a few hours/tks cheesemaker

BDNiner
January 3rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
What are the permissions of the files? you can see the permissions by running ls -l while inside the directory from a terminal. I use 755 when setting file permissions so that i have read, write and execute permissions and everyone else just has read and write.

rburkartjo
January 3rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
bd,

drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 2009-01-03 12:04 sgt-puzzles
/cheesemaker

BDNiner
January 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Oh ok the files are owned by root. Are these files in your home directory or in a system directory. I would try changing the owner of the files and the group to your username using chown command.

lloydkuhnle
January 3rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Oh ok the files are owned by root. Are these files in your home directory or in a system directory. I would try changing the owner of the files and the group to your username using chown command.

How do you do that?
On my 2nd. install of UBUNTU, I seem to have no permissions!

lswb
January 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
With the permissions you have shown the file should be readable by any user or process. Have you checked that the path to the files from your games is the same path that dillo is using?

jerome1232
January 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
bd,

drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 2009-01-03 12:04 sgt-puzzles
/cheesemaker

That shows world readable writeable permissions, just to break that down the first letter d, inidcates that it's a directory, the next 3 letters are the Owners permissions, the middle 3 letters are the Groups permissions, the last 3 are everyone else's permissions.

So the owner,group, and everyone else has read, write, and execute permissions (for directories execute means you can cd into the folder and see it's contents)

BDNiner
January 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
lswb brings up a good point, everybody has read, write and execute permissions. to change the owner of a file use the command:

sudo chown username:username /sgt-puzzles

to explain the command
chown is the command username:username is your username followed by your group or any group that you also want to have ownership of the file(s) /sgt-puzzles is the path to the file you want to change to owner of.

rburkartjo
January 4th, 2009, 12:18 AM
bd, tks for all your help good help will bookmark this thread for ref but still doesnt work and i tried a bunch of combos my user name is ray and the group is root. the problem maybe be because all of the help files are in .html

any way look this over tried all and still wont work
ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo chown ray:root /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index.html
ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo chown root:ray /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index.html
ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo chown ray:ray /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index.html
ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo chown root:root /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index.html
tks cheesemaker

BDNiner
January 4th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I am sorry that it did not work out for you. the third option that you type is the one i would have used. You can try running the application as root and then see if you can access the help html files. just type sudo and then the command that starts the application.

Kareeser
January 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Your group should be your own name.

ray:ray

Also, just because the directory itself gives you permissions, the files themselves do NOT.

Be careful with permissions. Applying them liberally can be a security risk.

sudo chmod -R 775 /usr/share/sgt-puzzles

the -R causes the command to run recursively, so that all of the files therein are also applied that permission.

rburkartjo
January 4th, 2009, 12:48 AM
bd,
thanks i already checked with the members of the linux board i host and they said they sometimes had help with html help files. just a thought note this
ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo -i
root@ray-desktop:~# /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index
-bash: /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index: No such file or directory
root@ray-desktop:~#
what would happen if i mkdir for the above would that just work. just playing no big deal my wife has alz. and trying to make it as easy i can for her to play these games
/tks cheesemaker

handydan918
January 4th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I'd like to see a current
ls -l /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index

And I have trouble believing that a good old fashioned
sudo chown -R ray /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/ would fail....

rburkartjo
January 4th, 2009, 02:50 AM
handy,
as you requested

root@ray-desktop:~# ls -l /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index
ls: cannot access /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index: No such file or directory

and
ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo chown -R ray /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/
ray@ray-desktop:~$

still doesnt work yea beats me too
/cheesemaker

lswb
January 4th, 2009, 03:37 AM
handy,
as you requested

root@ray-desktop:~# ls -l /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index
ls: cannot access /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index: No such file or directory

and
ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo chown -R ray /usr/share/sgt-puzzles/
ray@ray-desktop:~$

still doesnt work yea beats me too
/cheesemaker

If it is not too late, DO NOT change any of your file permissions or owner/groups. It is almost certain that this is just a simple misconfiguration of a path entry somewhere. Your ls command shows that THERE IS NO FILE "/usr/share/sgt-puzzles/help/index"

If I had to guess, I'd say it is at
/usr/share/doc/sgt-puzzles/help/index.html"

but why guess? Use the command

find / -name "sgt-puzzles" -type d

to find the sgt-puzzles directory. (It might take several minutes to complete) Then cd to that directory and

find . -name index*

to find out exactly where this index file is.

Then put the correct path to this file in the configuration of whatever application needs it.

rburkartjo
January 4th, 2009, 06:05 AM
iswb,
the correct path was /usr/share/doc/sgt-puzzles the when clicked on the html file in this location it took me to /usr/share/doc/sgt-puzzles/html
and that location lists all the htmls for the games. but i am lost how to get them to the help section of games themselves. okay check this out go to
applications /add/remove then add the game flip there are a host of others that have this problem. once you have installed open the program and click on the help and select either of the first two options and you will see what i mean./tks cheesemaker

lswb
January 4th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I don't see any game named "flip" and honestly I'd rather not install any games on my system even temporarily. I did try a few of the games that are default installed and the help worked in all of them, though the gnome help browser was used rather than a web browser.

Are you sure that these games are even capable of opening an html file on their own? It is not unusual for a program to have html help or documentation files meant to be viewed with a regular web browser.

rburkartjo
January 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM
okay y'all tks for all the help i will just have to use the work around this has been a good tread for learning chown/tks cheesemaker

rburkartjo
January 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM
just a final follow up. after doing some more search i found that all of these game programs that failed to open the help menu when clicked were written by one person. these were all old exe programs that he tried to make compatible for linux and mac to. and he acknowledge that the help programs could only be opened in html format/cheesemaker