PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen Resolution Stuck at 800x600

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
My Screen Resolution is stuck at 800x600, but the actual size is 1024x768. 800x600 is my largest option, and I searched for drivers online in the Hardware Drivers option in System-->Admin, but didnt find any at all.

BDNiner
January 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
try running from a terminal:

sudo dpkg-recofigure xserver-xorg

and following the prompts.

amauk
January 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

fixed typo ;)

alienexplorers
January 3rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
What video card are you using (make & model)?

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
That only dealed with keyboards, nothing about screen resolution o.O

BDNiner
January 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Good catch, I am sitting at work on a saturday and the whole office has christmas lights still up. I is very taxing on the eyes and my complaints have lead me to be called a scrouge.

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
What video card are you using (make & model)?

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/XP (rev 63)

mapes12
January 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Right click Applications>Edit Menu. From the GUI select Other in L/H column then Screen and Graphics in R/H column. You may have to reboot but then go Applications>Other>Screen and Graphics. When the GUI opens then select your hardware from the tabs then set your screen res.

This worked for me in 8.04 with a similar problem. If you're running 8.10 you may be out of luck cos 8.10 has a new X server version that does not allow manual configuration.

DWBC
January 3rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
I am having the same problem on a PC clone with an Xpert 98 AGP 2X adapter. You might check out the Thread "Display adapter and screen resolution" currently running in this Forum to see if any of the suggestions posted there help with your issue. We're still looking for the answer on my machine.

DWBC
January 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I'm am not getting the options outlined in the following instructions:

Right click Applications>Edit Menu. From the GUI select Other in L/H column then Screen and Graphics in R/H column. You may have to reboot but then go Applications>Other>Screen and Graphics. When the GUI opens then select your hardware from the tabs then set your screen res.

When I go follow to the point of selecting Screen and Graphics in the R/H column (by double clicking) it opens the Launcher which does not give me any hardware selection options or screen res.

stoogiebuncho
January 3rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Following those instructions just adds the launcher to your Applications Menu. After you have checked it, click "Close", and then look in your Applications menu for Other > Screens and Graphics

mapes12
January 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
This only works in 8.04, as I posted before. If your not getting the hardware options you may not have the packages installed. You will need these 2 packages:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/admin/displayconfig-gtk

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/guidance-backends

You may have to restart to make them effective.