PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Question How to batch rename file extensions..

trooperchix
January 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Related to posting: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1029398

Since Amarok isn't supporting the .oga filetypes currently (will play but not index into collection, so it is as if the files do not exist) I need to know how to batch rename the file extensions in my music folder from .oga to .ogg as this is a known fix for this problem while Amarok figures out if this is a high priority fix or not. I'm a total noob, I need as much instruction as possible.

Thanks.

kaibob
January 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
One option is to use the command-line utility rename. To use this, open a terminal window, change to the directory containing the files, and enter:

rename -n 's/oga$/ogg/' *.oga

The -n option directs rename to do a dry run and report proposed changes. If all appears well, change -n to -v to actually rename the files.

pdtpatrick
January 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
write a for loop script that would check for instances of .oga and use sed to replace to the new extension.

or create a regular script to scan your folder where you have these files and then have the result's extensions changed to what you like.

pdtpatrick
January 3rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
write a for loop script that would check for instances of .oga and use sed to replace to the new extension.

or create a regular script to scan your folder where you have these files and then have the result's extensions changed to what you like.

pdtpatrick
January 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
wow didnt know that command.. i learned something new here as well :)

lavinog
January 3rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
for FILE in *.oga
do
mv -v "${FILE}" "${FILE%.oga}.ogg"
done

or for a one liner

for FILE in *.oga;do mv -v "${FILE}" "${FILE%.oga}.ogg";done

and if you want to test it out first:

for FILE in *.oga;do echo "${FILE}" "${FILE%.oga}.ogg";done

lavinog
January 3rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
One option is to use the command-line utility rename. To use this, open a terminal window, change to the directory containing the files, and enter:

The -n option directs rename to do a dry run and report proposed changes. If all appears well, change -n to -v to actually rename the files.

wouldn't you want to use 's/.oga$/.ogg/' instead?
just incase oga appears in the filename

kaibob
January 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
wouldn't you want to use 's/.oga$/.ogg/' instead?
just incase oga appears in the filename

The dollar sign directs rename only to change oga if at the end of the file name. Thus, for example, a file with the name oga.txt would not be renamed, and a file with the name oga.oga would be renamed to oga.ogg. Still, it's probably a good idea to include the period.

trooperchix
January 3rd, 2009, 06:39 PM

Now, how do I do that to change all files listed under my Music folder (keep in mind each artist has a folder and in each artist folder are other folders reflecting album names, and inside those are the .oga files...

For example

/home/eddie/Music/3 Doors Down/The Better Life would be the artist 3 Doors Down and the album The Better Life, and inside that folder, all the oga songs...

lavinog
January 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Now, how do I do that to change all files listed under my Music folder (keep in mind each artist has a folder and in each artist folder are other folders reflecting album names, and inside those are the .oga files...

For example

/home/eddie/Music/3 Doors Down/The Better Life would be the artist 3 Doors Down and the album The Better Life, and inside that folder, all the oga songs...

try this:

find /home/eddie/Music/ -name *.oga -exec rename -n 's/oga$/ogg/' {} \;

remember what kaibob mentioned about removing the -n if the dry run worked

trooperchix
January 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
You rock. That worked perfectly. :)

DGortze380
January 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
The more important issue here is overlooked... Linux does not use file extensions the same way windows does. While the extension may or may not matter for Amarok, it does not matter for the OS. There is information about the file type in the header that is used to determine file type. Not the extension.

lavinog
January 4th, 2009, 06:39 AM
The more important issue here is overlooked... Linux does not use file extensions the same way windows does. While the extension may or may not matter for Amarok, it does not matter for the OS. There is information about the file type in the header that is used to determine file type. Not the extension.

That may be true, but isn't it quicker to make a list of files that have a particular extension than to parse headers on every file on a system?
It is common for media files to have extensions anyway...this may seem like a windows thing, but it is handy to be able to quickly look at a directory listing and see which files are media files. Not only that, but many media player devices require proper extensions also.

DGortze380
January 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM
That may be true, but isn't it quicker to make a list of files that have a particular extension than to parse headers on every file on a system?
It is common for media files to have extensions anyway...this may seem like a windows thing, but it is handy to be able to quickly look at a directory listing and see which files are media files. Not only that, but many media player devices require proper extensions also.

I'm not looking for an argument... I didn't say there was anything wrong with extensions, I use them all the time when programming. I tend to use custom ones on linux because it allows me that flexibility. But the fact remains, the operating system doesn't require them (most of the time), and (more often then not) doesn't utilize them.