PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Broadcast

DforVendetta
January 3rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
What is "broadcast address" that I see in my network information? I do not have any wireless devices so it seems strange to me.

brian_p
January 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
What is "broadcast address" that I see in my network information? I do not have any wireless devices so it seems strange to me.

The first Google hit I get (Wikipedia) explains the term better than I could. It's nothing to do with wireless.

linuxford
January 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM
This is not my speciality, but roughly I believe it is the address used on your local network (Ethernet LAN). It is the address used when your switch (usually called a router by us lay people) wants some information and doesn't know where to get it, so it "broadcasts" to all the devices on the network in hopes that one of the nodes will answer back.

Also, I think the old Hubs, which instead of routing data to specific computers, would broadcast the data to all the nodes on the network.

Anyway, here is the wikipedia info:
"In computer networking, a broadcast address is an IP address that allows information to be sent to all machines on a given subnet rather than a specific machine." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_address