PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need best equivalent to Skype

halovivek
January 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
Hi
i am using skype in my ubuntu system. But the call rates to India is very high so i can offord them.
Any Guys which they are using skype like software in linux? i am planning to switch it and i am looking for the cheap rate in calling to india mobile phone and landlines.
planning to quit skype since it is very high rate in calling.
can you please suggest me. this is the only thing left for me here to go ahead with Ubuntu full dedicated OS for me.
thanks

jrusso2
January 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Gizmo has Linux SIP software, I think the best is still skype.

kaivalagi
January 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Just a thought...

I call Fiji from the UK regularly and have found the cheapest way is through a landline service where you call a number up front and then the number you want to call

An example is http://www.cheapestcalls.co.uk/index2.php - 1.5p / min for India from the UK

Maybe there is something equivalent for you in Sweden?

If you want to use your PC then look for a SIP client (there are several) and look into SIP providers you can use with the software...when I looked there wasn't much of a difference in price this way when compared to Skype though :(

Good luck

marcgh
January 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
I an using skype without any problems.
Just downloaded the Ubuntu version at www.skype.com.
It installed without flaws and worked rigt away.

Forgot to add that my main (few) contacts in India also have Skype, so for me this is totally free !

halovivek
January 3rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
I an using skype without any problems.
Just downloaded the Ubuntu version at www.skype.com.
It installed without flaws and worked rigt away.

hi if you compare skype with another network it is really quite costly. that why i am looking for another one. since skype is the costly than another one. already i am using skype only.