PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need program that see's .exe better

Versial
January 3rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Hello...

I am fairly new to Ubuntu. I have 8,10 intrepid. I was wonder what was the best program to use for .exe files. I have wine, but it never seems to work. I like to play games and most of the time whether I use a CD or mount an image, the .exe files never do anything with wine. I try to execute them and nothing happens. Maybe I need to do something with wine, or maybe there is a better program to do these with.

It's not that wine doesn't work at all...just doesn't work most of the time.
Thnx

cariboo907
January 3rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
I would suggest you check here (http:///appdb.winehq.org/), to see if your games are compatiable.

Otherwise use your windows partition.

Jim

Tim Sharitt
January 3rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Not everything works with wine. There is a listing at http://appdb.winehq.org of some programs and how well they work. There is also crossover which ports popular programs to run with wine. Some applications just need a little extra work to run with wine. There is a wine forum here that may have some answers to get some things running.

jimmy the saint
January 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Remember, you are using a linux operating system. You cannot expect programs written for windows (or any other OS) to work on it. Applications like wine make some of them work, but that is a work in progress and it certainly doesn't mean that you can expect all of them to work. You are much better of looking for native linux apps that will suit you or dual booting into windows to play your windows games.

Versial
January 3rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the replies and the url's some of the games I have tried it says are supposed to work there...I guess I just need to compile wine correctly for some of them. I know wine won't work for everything, I just want to make it so that I have revert back to windows as little as possible and still be able to enjoy everything that I could do in windows in Ubuntu. Personally I hate Microsoft and want to spread to everybody else a superior OS. So the more I can get Linux to do everything and more the better.

efexD
January 3rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
There is also Cedega you can try.