PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Desktop reads 8.10... Notebook does not

CoCoKnots
January 2nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
I received Intrepid 8.10 in the mail... I looks fine on my desktop, however my notebook doesn't see the files or load. Any ideas ?

egalvan
January 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Does it not boot?

Can you boot another OS (windows?) and see the contents?

Can any other CD/DVD be read by your laptop?

CoCoKnots
January 2nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Yes... The drive reads just about anything. I am also able to boot an older version of Ubuntu... 7.10 No Problem ???

CoCoKnots
January 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
I just tried to boot the CD on another notebook and failed.

LowSky
January 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
how old is the laptop. I have had issue booting newer versions of Ubuntu. I usually get around it by using the Alternative install CD

CoCoKnots
January 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM
One laptop is about 18 months & the other is less than 4 months old.

CoCoKnots
January 2nd, 2009, 11:43 PM
Does Ubuntu 8.10 not designed to work on laptops ?

CoCoKnots
January 3rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
Is this considered a bug in 8.10 ?... Is anyone else having a problem with the CD ? I tried downloading Intrepid from the web site. I had a problem with Java JRE & ordered the CD.

bump_
January 3rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
Laptops are sometimes iffy with running the LiveCD. I've had succes installing Ubuntu where a LiveCD would not run by using the alternate disk. After install, the system is the same as with an installation done by a regular LiveCD.

CoCoKnots
January 3rd, 2009, 01:48 AM
Thanks Bump,
I'll give that another shot.

donkyhotay
January 3rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
Laptops are sometimes iffy with running the LiveCD. I've had succes installing Ubuntu where a LiveCD would not run by using the alternate disk. After install, the system is the same as with an installation done by a regular LiveCD.

I've seen this too, I actually rarely use the regular installer because of it and go straight for the alternate.