PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updates, which ones do I need?

MikesGuitar
January 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
I am surprised at the number and complexity of the updates that are available. Most of them make no sense to me. I am not a very in-depth computer user, just need to have my laptop in constant working order with security and performance updates. Is there specific ones that I should look out for? Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

ibizatunes
January 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Generally all of them!!
Ubuntu updates all your app's in 1 place, where windoze only does itself, and other products do themselves, it may seem like alot of updates but it because every program gets its update from update manager
If you keep on top of them it better that letting them build up!

wolfen69
January 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
unless you are very savvy about linux and do research about what updates will do what, you just have to have blind faith if you decide to install updates. i've never had an update bork my machine, so i trust them. things to look out for? that's where the research part comes in.

handydan918
January 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
I am surprised at the number and complexity of the updates that are available. Most of them make no sense to me. I am not a very in-depth computer user, just need to have my laptop in constant working order with security and performance updates. Is there specific ones that I should look out for? Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!
If you are using 8.04, I would suggest sticking with it, rather than upgrading to 8.10. 8.04 is an LTS release, so breakage is minimized.

MikesGuitar
January 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Where would be a good place to research this stuff? I think that a majority of the updates are things I would have little or no use for anyway, shou I agree I need to get on the research.

evilkastel
January 2nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Ubuntu's updates are not useless 99.9% of the time. Even when updating things you don't use.when updating you can see the details of every update and packages related in the box below the update list. So if you want to know, there you have. Still i wouldn't worry about that.

egalvan
January 2nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
go to:

System -> Administration -> Software Sources

the tab labeled "Updates" will give you options to select the type of updates. I have "security updates" and "recomended updates" checked, nothing else...

handydan918
January 3rd, 2009, 12:35 AM
go to:

System -> Administration -> Software Sources

the tab labeled "Updates" will give you options to select the type of updates. I have "security updates" and "recomended updates" checked, nothing else...

+ 1

Limiting your system to security updates is a great way to keep a stable system stable,if you don't need the constant cutting-edge updates that Ubu tends to throw at you.