PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Monitor output corrupt?

green_lantern
January 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have a dell precision 650(desktop) with a hp compaq 7500 monitor. To get monitor output had to include a VGA to DVI converter. OS installed is Ubuntu 8.04.

Now my problem is that I had the computer working fine for the last couple of months, but I had the great idea of using the laptop with the same monitor. Since then; when I boot using the desktop the monitor turns on when the ubuntu log-in screen is available, if I disconnect the monitor it intermediately turns on to complain of no input available, also when I connect the monitor to the laptop it works fine. Any preference that might have been changed?

wolfen69
January 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
not sure i quite understand, but you are not supposed to disconnect and reconnect a monitor to a running computer. do all your connecting with a powered down computer. you can screw up your hardware by doing otherwise.

oldsoundguy
January 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
unless you are using a KVM switch, every time you swap the monitor from one computer to another (laptop or desktop) you have to RE-BOOT the computer in order for the drivers to activate.

And if you are on a KVM switch, when you boot a particular computer, the display has to be hooked up and ON in order for the computer to SEE it and install your drivers.

No such thing as hot swapping a monitor (yet).

green_lantern
January 2nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
I always do it with computers shut off.

I;m not that much of a noob ;)

theozzlives
January 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
No input is a normal display for an unplugged monitor, no probs there.

wolfen69
January 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
you need to be more specific about your problem. i could not get it from what you wrote. is it a resolution problem?