PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network Manager: "device is unmanaged"

nwu
January 2nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
I'm using Network Manager 0.7.0 on Ubuntu 8.10, with a Linksys WUSB100. After getting the rt2870.inf driver (from the "Win2K" folder on the CD), the card works great and lets me connect to the Internet, but I've found a small problem (it's not really a big issue, but I'd like to figure it out mostly so I can know how to use Network Manager better):

After I log into Ubuntu, Network Manager connects to my specified "connect automatically" network, but when I click on the icon, instead of there being a list of available networks, etc., under "Wireless Networks," there is simply "device is unmanaged." This means I can't change the network I want to connect to, look at connection statistics, etc. Oddly enough, if I unplug and replug my wireless card, Network Manager does manage my card, and I can see the list of networks, etc.

I've already tried both of the recommended modifications in this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5926426), but both times, Network Manager did not even detect my wireless card upon rebooting.

Thanks.

asg8516
March 8th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I too faced this problem with my Ubuntu Intrepid.

I found the following solution for the same:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/280417

Hope that saves your day.

Happy Computing! :)

nwu
March 8th, 2009, 05:23 AM
That thread is fairly long though; which post contains the solution you were referring to?

mchaggis
April 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
The following worked for me from that thread

Whatever updates occurred in the last day set all the devices to managed=false in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf

Change that and "sudo killall nm-system-settings" and it'll start working again.

Simple do the following:

sudo vi /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf

Change "managed=false" to "managed=true"

sudo killall nm-system-settings

The network manager then notifies you that the network was detect and attempts to connect you, so if all of your settings are correct then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Flimm
May 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks, that worked for me! (Replacing vi with nano of course)

n0deal
May 13th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Thank you very much for the pointer. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my wireless connection on my ubuntu 8.10 box suddenly stopped working. Cheers!

radixor
May 13th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Thanks very much! This worked for me!

flarkit
May 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
The following worked for me from that thread

Simple do the following:

sudo vi /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf

Change "managed=false" to "managed=true"

sudo killall nm-system-settings

The network manager then notifies you that the network was detect and attempts to connect you, so if all of your settings are correct then you'll have nothing to worry about.

And your tip worked for me too! Thank you, thank you, thank you

Madh2orat
May 31st, 2009, 02:37 AM
This worked for me as well, I was going a little bit crazy trying to figure it out.

What caused it to happen in mine -I believe- was using the aircrack-ng suite, somewhere in there putting my card into monitor mode must have dont it, but thanks to this post, it's all working again.

Thank you all so much.

guroos
June 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM
i hope this works for me as well..........i'm gonna check it out..

well......thanking u in anticipation

snowman2428
July 10th, 2009, 02:17 AM
mchaggis, you are the man. props to you.

filron
August 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
worked for me also, many thanks for saving my sanity!

ironsharpensiron
August 8th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Thank You!

finally it works :)

Steve H
August 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Brilliant! Worked for me!

Thanks

:)

TBlake
September 6th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Worked for me on Ubuntu Studio 9.04. Had to substitute in "nano" for "vi" like someone else mentioned.

vkpal
September 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks a ton, was going all over and this fixed it!

Firubat
September 10th, 2009, 02:05 PM
yes worked for me too after i had a wired connection that was working but did not show up on the network mannager.
and i used "gedit" to change it
Thanks alot!

pilcheck
September 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the tip!

I'm giving Ubuntu Studio 9.04 a run and this fixed my issue.

The network manager wasn't installed (sudo apt-get network-manager)
then after that, the NM stated that the "device is not managed"

Followed the tip and I'm up and running!

intuited
December 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM
At the risk of being accused of looking for the root cause of the problem..... any idea what would cause this? Why would the setting have been changed to unmanaged in the first place? Is this likely to happen again?
I guess I'm looking for a more specific reason than "because of updates". In particular, maybe this is an issue that package maintainers should be made aware of, since it does impact usability.

peepingtom
December 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
It's an issue because people make modifications to /etc/network/interfaces . By default, NetworkManager will not manage any interfaces that are specified here because they're likely to be part of a way more complicated setup that nm would break.

satya_461
July 6th, 2010, 07:00 AM
worked for me too.. I had this problem on ubuntu 10.04 after some update..

Thank you very much..

ufu1
July 6th, 2010, 08:24 AM
It's an issue because people make modifications to /etc/network/interfaces . By default, NetworkManager will not manage any interfaces that are specified here because they're likely to be part of a way more complicated setup that nm would break.

people? i didn't make any modifications in /etc/network/interfaces. i haven't been doing any updates to try stop from happening.. not the safest way to go but internet was down so i made do. almost feel like i can't touch anything and it'll break because it does !! :S

good to have a fix though. thank you

Olangu
July 17th, 2010, 11:42 AM
You would be better off if you comment out the interface in /etc/network/interfaces

This change is very welcome for everyone who like to have more control of their interface by using the old way (/etc/network/interfaces). Now network-manager wont mess with settings there.

autonomouse
August 10th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Similar issue on my netbook running Kubuntu netbook edition 10.04. I found that I also had to do the following before the killall step:

sudo vim /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

(replacing vim for nano, vi, or whatever if you want), then change:

NetworkingEnabled=false

to:

NetworkingEnabled=true

Only then did it work.

(Source: http://ubuntuaddict.com/kubuntu-how-to-fix-network-manager-disabled-ubuntu-10-04-lucid/ )

bornbyforce
August 24th, 2010, 09:25 AM
First thanks to the people who provided the answer here.

The answer is up there in my case. I just want to clarify a few things for people who have the problem as I had it.
OK first let me add that I had a bad experience upgrading to Lucid with WPA and I am now back with Jaunty. I may have missed out something or it might be bugs introduced with the recent mass changes in gnome. Either way the following happened on a ipw2200 (Intel Pro Wireless internal wireless card) on a Sony Vaio Laptop with Jaunty.
The card was working out of the box with any of the Ubuntu installations that I have tried including Jaunty and Lucid.
I had a problem with the switch of my wireless (a hardware problem).
First solution was of course buying an external wireless card. Having that working was a bit of a hassle but you may search my posts in other threads for details. At the end of the day it was working until I got my replacement board and installed and started the machine.
With the external (USB) wireless inside and switch on, it was working fine using the external card. And interestingly turning laptop's switch off was actually turning off the external card. Both with the external card connected or disconnected and both with switch on or off, the Internal card was UNMANAGED. I tried the tests in various ubuntu help resources and I was even able to scan the neighborhood for wireless networks with the internal card in command line which confirmed there was not hardware or driver problem.
The solution was of course what you see in this thread HOWEVER...
I tried it several times before getting it right. Things have to happen exactly in the right order.
lets assume starting state is connected to Internet and reading this post with your external card.
Turn the wireless switch off.
Take external card out of USB.
Turn the wireless switch back on.
Edit conf file (not necessarily at this step but make most of sense)
kill the processes
I believe you are now connected back again!

Hope this helps.

gatman3
October 1st, 2010, 09:49 PM
Let me just add that this also happened to me with Kubuntu 10.04 after my machine was accidentally powered off while in a sleep (suspend-to-RAM) state.

Restoring my networking required the edits to both the /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf file and the /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state file as detailed in earlier posts to this thread.

I just wanted to point out that failed recovery from suspend-to-RAM (and presumably suspend-to-disk) are also mechanisms that can trigger this networking problem.