PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Building project

Orangefromwin
January 2nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Hello, yesterday as part of a new years resolution I decided that I should build a Linux PC as I have no experience outside of Windows (however this is being typed on a iPod touch if that means anything) within a few hours of research I decided that I want to use Ubuntu. I ordered my cd and now I'm trying to pick out the parts I want to use. Is there anything I should be aware of moving on? What motherboards, memory and cards don't work with ubuntu? Thanks.:KS

handydan918
January 2nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
General principal:
Avoid cutting edge stuff. Stick with tech that's at least a year or two old, and you will minimise any compatibility issues.

zephyrcat
January 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Alright, having built a couple of machines, here is a quick run down of what I know:

RAM (Memory), PSU, HD, CD/DVD - anything should work, no problems
Motherboards - Everything should be fine, except possibly for motherboards that have unusual features, such as WiFi. In those cases, check the reviews.
WiFi Cards - CHECK! Avoid 802.11 N if possible.
Graphics Cards - nVidia is fine if your OK with proprietary drivers, some ATI cards have open-source drivers, but you should check.

Might post back with other details later. Good luck!

LowSky
January 2nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
General principal:
Avoid cutting edge stuff. Stick with tech that's at least a year or two old, and you will minimise any compatibility issues.

What are you talking about!!!!
Things like motherboard and processors should all work fine.
I'm running a AMD Phenom 9950, its as cutting edge as AMD gets and it runs perfectly. Also any RAM you buy will run fine.

The only thing to be careful of is Graphics cards, stick to Nvidia for best results (8600GT is a decent card for cheap these days)

As for Keyboards and mice, most USB devices work good, some people report issue with wireless mice and keyboard but mine (logitech worked fine)

if you need a printer use HP, they actually support Linux

Orangefromwin
January 2nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys! Looks like I'm in the clear then. Linux.org made a big deal about it but I wasn't sure.

handydan918
January 3rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
What are you talking about!!!!I'm talking about general principles, not specific cases.

Things like motherboard and processors should all work fine.Most things will work fine.

I'm running a AMD Phenom 9950, its as cutting edge as AMD gets and it runs perfectly. Also any RAM you buy will run fine.Yeah, amazing. What kinda drivers does that amd cpu need? Same thing with the ram. If it is a driverless piece of hardware, well, all I can say is "duh."

The only thing to be careful of is Graphics cards, stick to Nvidia for best results (8600GT is a decent card for cheap these days)And a good example of what I was referring to, That card is how old now? Certainly not cutting edge.

As for Keyboards and mice, most USB devices work good, some people report issue with wireless mice and keyboard but mine (logitech worked fine)

if you need a printer use HP, they actually support Linux

My point was that hardware (that requires drivers) often requires a little time before the open source community can get the drivers fugured out. That's all.

zephyrcat
January 3rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks guys! Looks like I'm in the clear then. Linux.org made a big deal about it but I wasn't sure.

If you want to post the parts here before you buy them, I am sure people would be able to check them over.

P.S. Great New Years resolution!