PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] USB Network Card?? I'd like to...

Orange Luna
January 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Hello *ubuntu users. I'm developing a new setup for my home network and I'd like to use an old laptop as my server. Thing is this laptop cannot add a new device internally and I'd like to add a network card so it to be used as a server. So my question is: has anyone heard of a usb network card that I can plug my internet connection into, use the laptop as a firewall and then plug that into my regular computer.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

ieee488
January 2nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
There are USB Ethernet devices.
However, does your laptop have USB 1.1 or USB 2.0?
I personally prefer to use PCMCIA network card. I have three that I bought used on eBay that works in Linux - 3Com 3C574-TX , 3Com 3CCFE575BT , SMC SMC8401TX. You should be able to find them cheap.

I have a friend who turned an old desktop into a firewall for his home network. http://www.smoothwall.org/

Orange Luna
January 4th, 2009, 01:19 AM
thanks for the information ieee. my computer unfortunately has usb 1.1 so there might be some network slowing but I'm able to live with that if I can find a device that can do this. the machine I plan to use is an old ibook so it doesn't have a PCMCIA slot. :( i've look over the web now and haven't found any product that is an external network card that can connect to usb. any other ideas?

P.S. Haven't seen that smoothwall before thanks for the link.