PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Root User Name and password

rajendran_babu
January 2nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hi,
i recently installed ubuntu 8.04 in my laptop..the installation process, created a username with administrator rights..but i want to login as root user, as i want to drag and drop files to fonts folder..
The installation process didnt ask for any root password while installing ..

is there a default password for the root ?

Joeb454
January 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hit Alt+F2 and enter
gksu nautilus to run nautilus with root permissions.

As always, be careful what you move/delete when running things as root.

And by default Ubuntu uses sudo instead of root, which is a little more secure :)

snowpine
January 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hi Rajendran,
Ubuntu differs from many other Linux distributions in that the root account is locked. You should preface a command with 'sudo' (for command line) or 'gksu' (for GUI applications). When you are prompted for a password, enter your user password.

For example, 'gksu nautilus' will open a file browser as root so that you can drag the files to your fonts folder.

spcwingo
January 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
In Ubuntu the root account is disabled by default. If you need to do anything as root you have to use sudo. To do what you are talking about just do:

gksu nautilus

and drag/drop away!;) If this is unacceptable for you just change the root password via the terminal. I won't go in to detail on how to do it here...just Google it. That's how I found out how to do it.

freak42
January 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hello,

logging in and working as root is not recommended as it breaks the whole security model to a certain extent.

To temporarily get a nautilus (file explorer) instance with root rights into which you can drag&drop files with root rights type

sudo nautilus into a console or alternatively
type alt-f2 and write gksudo nautilus into the 'run application' line

hth

doug1212
January 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hi,
Here is some more info:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Doug.

Joeb454
January 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
type

sudo nautilus into a console or alternatively
type alt-f2 and write gksudo nautilus into the 'run application' line

Even if you use a terminal to enter the command, you should still run
gksu nautilus :)

igknighted
January 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
If you install ubuntutweak (get it on getdeb) it can install an option in nautilus to right click -> browse as root. Or you can launch nautilus from the terminal as stated above. However, while what you describe is possible, it is a violation of forum policy for anyone to explain to you how to do it here. If you still want to do this, search on google.