PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Trying to install ndiswrapper...What am I doing wrong?

mariane_08
January 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
System>Administration>Hardware did not detect my Wifi (it did before so I dont know why not now but....!) Anyway its the infamous BC4318 card.

So I'm trying the ndiswrapper rout in Terminal and following the guide
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty_No-Fluff

In step 1 I'm getting the error about not finding it:

mbdb@M2000:~$ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
mbdb@M2000:~$

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks!

timcredible
January 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
to install ndiswrapper, go to system->administration->synaptic package manager and install ndisgtk. after that, you'll have a new menu option of system->administration->windows wireless drivers. you just point to the correct .inf file for your wireless card and reboot, done.

mariane_08
January 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
to install ndiswrapper, go to system->administration->synaptic package manager and install ndisgtk. after that, you'll have a new menu option of system->administration->windows wireless drivers. you just point to the correct .inf file for your wireless card and reboot, done.

uhm...?? where is ndisgtk? I cant see it in there anywhere!
I'm running Hardy BTW
Thanks

spcwingo
January 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
It's under the networking category...or you could just enter ndisgtk with the search function.

Ayuthia
January 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
If you don't have a working internet connection, you will need to use your liveCD to add the packages:

sudo apt-cdrom addAdd the CD when asked then:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ndiswraper-utils-1.9I think that ndisgtk is also on the CD too.

mariane_08
January 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
It's under the networking category...or you could just enter ndisgtk with the search function.

Hmmm....strange? it's definately not there! I looked under "ALL" and scrolled down the list and tried search too. Could this be why I got the error in Terminal?

mbdb@M2000:~$ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
mbdb@M2000:~$

In which case is there another way I can get fwcutter or ndiswrapper?

mariane_08
January 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
If you don't have a working internet connection, you will need to use your liveCD to add the packages:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ndiswraper-utils-1.9I think that ndisgtk is also on the CD too.

OK Thanks! I do have a working wired connection right now as well as the CD. I'll try that. Actually since I have the ethernet cable hooked up right now that might be the best way to go

mariane_08
January 2nd, 2009, 10:47 PM

sudo apt-get update

OK that was sucessfull! :D

Maybe you could explain this to me? I installed ndiswrapper off the liveCD as you sugested. Then I rebooted. After that just out of curiousity I went to system>administration>hardwaredrivers and it had detected my bc4318 wireless card (it had not before) I clicked on enable and installed B43 FWcuter just like that. Now the works fine. Was ndiswrapper necessary in order for it to detect my wireless card?

Thanks for your help

Ayuthia
January 2nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
OK that was sucessfull! :D

Maybe you could explain this to me? I installed ndiswrapper off the liveCD as you sugested. Then I rebooted. After that just out of curiousity I went to system>administration>hardwaredrivers and it had detected my bc4318 wireless card (it had not before) I clicked on enable and installed B43 FWcuter just like that. Now the works fine. Was ndiswrapper necessary in order for it to detect my wireless card?

Thanks for your help

I am not for sure if that is what fixed it, but there is a bug with Hardware Drivers where it will not initally identify your wireless card.