PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Confirming / Saving Pidgin Accounts

Mordigen
December 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Alright - I am fairly new to Linux, I have been thinking of switching for some time now, and have a very basic understanding of it, but have not yet switched, so am not familiar enough to get everything on my own.

I have a friend who has just gotten a new UMPC for christmas, installed with linux, and she has absolute -no- clue what she is doing. She didn't even know there was even such a thing as Linux in exsistance until I told her her OS was Linux - she thought there was Windows, and MAC and that's it, and assumed that her new comp was installd with Windows. So she is completely new, and has no idea what she is doing.

Her device is the Dell Inspiron 910n UMPC.
She is trying to Set up her Yahoo ID on Pidgin - I've tried to walk her through it as best as I know how to with my limited knowledge, but I can't get her past all the steps, and she is very easily frustrated with a short fuse, and if she doesn't understand something immediately, she just gets pissed and would rather say "f--- it" then try to undertand it - so I need help with very basic commands on trying to talk her through this.

She is trying to load her yahoo account. She has gotten through the steps perfectly fine - but after she comes to the Yahoo set up and enters in her username and password etc, she claims she cannot see or access the "save" button option. She claims that when the window opens up, it goes down past the bottom of her desktop, so she cannot see it. She also says she has tried to resize, or move the page window and it wont allow her to.

How can she move/resize or open the program so she can see the entire window and access the save button?
i need directions as easy and straight forward as possible so I can explain it to her easily without getting her angry and yelling at me, thankyou for any and all help you guys can offer.

--Mordi:)

kestrel1
December 29th, 2008, 11:40 PM
It sounds like the video drivers are not set up correctly. It may be that the proprietary drivers need installing.
Tell her to go to System - Administration - Hardware Drivers & to check to see if the proprietary drivers are in use. If not tick the box to enable them & reboot the system.

sailor2001
December 29th, 2008, 11:41 PM
sounds like her resolution is not correct...she should go to "system"/"preferences"/"screen resolution"

khc
January 1st, 2009, 03:19 AM
under most window managers you can alt+drag anywhere to move a window

Mantru
January 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hi,

i am a new user ,I too did not get the hang of pidgin....i registered the yahoo id and when logged in i dont see any page which shows my details...I did not know what was happening so i disconnected and opened the yahoo messanger page without downloading and logged in...

Might be i dont know how thie pidgin works,or what should be appearing after i log in or might be i did not get the idea of this fucntion ..pls help.

superprash2003
January 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
did you create an account under Accounts->Add/Edit .. and did you Enable it by ticking it