PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie install help

opensailor
December 29th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Hi all,

I have a older computer I'm loading Ubuntu on to. It presently has XP pro loaded and I want to wipe the system clean and perform complete re-load using Ubuntu.

Can anyone give me the easy way to do this?

I tired to use the ISO disk but the system freezes after I click "next" on the start menu.

I tried the dual OS set-up, but when I enter Ubuntu to boot off it asks for grub>

Please help, I'm a 15 year Microsoft user and sooooo confused.

Jason

Sour Mash
December 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Check your specs - do you have enough RAM to run Ubuntu? Consider Xubuntu for lower RAM systems - oh and double check your CD was burnt right with no errors (I made a nice set of coasters before I managed a good one)

SuperSonic4
December 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Did the ISO burn ok? You can check this in "Check Disk for Errors" at the first menu. If there is a problem you'll need either another iso or to burn it at a slower speed.

The Live CD is the best way to go. The easiest is to let ubuntu use the whole disk "Guided: Use the Whole disk" although I prefer manual partitioning so I can have a separate /home

firstace
December 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Halo, I am newbie also but I ever install Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 into my desktop and laptop, hopefully I can help a little bit here.

Can u post ur hardware spec and which Ubuntu version r u using? Normally pentium III with lower RAM can't boot 8.04 & above, it will freeze at the begining.

The 'Next' you mean is after select Language page?