PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] RalinkRT73 not appearing in wireless connections list

taffyviking
December 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I have a cheap and cheerful Gigabyte GN-WB01GS USB stick (RalinkRT73 based) connected to my Ubuntu 8.10 system. The stick seems to be getting recognised by the system, if I use terminal to run iwconfig or ifconfig I can see that the stick is there, it's even getting an IP address from my Access point. BUT, If I open the Network Connections utility nothing appears under the wireless tab.

I believe that I've used the ndiswrapper drivers using System - Administration - Windows Wireless Drivers, and this shows that the hardware is present but if I click on the Configure Network button in this GUI I just get a pop-up with "could not find a network configuration tool". I've got to the limits of what I'm prepared to do without advice since I'm bound to make a real mess of things if I carry on.

Any help you can offer is gratefully accepted, but since I'm pretty much a complete newb when it comes to linux don't assume that I know anything!

taffyviking
December 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks to James_vanb for his concise and easy to read post to another thread concerning an rt73 powered Belkin USB stick.

I've been trying to get my ralink rt73 based Gigabyte GN-WB01GS USB wireless stick working for weeks now, and everything I've read has been incomprehensible, but finally I have the wretched thing connected!

The stick still isn't showing in the WLAN adapters list , but I'm not sure that isn't due to the fact that ndiswrapper is in use.