View Full Version : [ubuntu] This "mailto: link" How-To doesn't work!

December 29th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I just followed the tip in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=326933) to make Ubuntu open Thunderbird when I click a "mailto:" link, but it still gives me the account setup screen for Evolution, even after I've specifically told Firefox (version 3.0.5 running on Hardy Heron, BTW) that I want my "mailto:" links to open in THUNDERBIRD when clicked on. This one's really ticking me off. :mad: How do I get Firefox to obey my wishes? This wouldn't by any chance be a bug, would it?

December 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM
No it's not a bug. I changed mine a few days ago but don't recall how I did it at the moment.

December 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Here it is
>System>Preferences>Preferred Applications
Internet tab > Mail Reader

December 29th, 2008, 10:02 PM
In Firefox there's

December 30th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I've tried all that. Still no go. I've therefore submitted this as a bug report to Launchpad.

March 3rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Was there a response to this? It doesn't work for me, either.

June 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM
If you've upgraded from Firefox 2 to Firefox 3, the above may not work. But if so, the following might.

Check out this thread

Worked for me when nothing else did.
Basically Firefox 3 doesn't use this "network.protocol-handler.app.mailto" thing any more, but if you've upgraded from Firefox 2, you'll have a load of config data set up for it, which seems to confuse Firefox.

Anyway, that thread tells you how to sort it out.

June 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Personally, I think it is easier to go to Edit-->Preferences-->Applications, and select Mailto-->Use other, then navigate to File System-->/usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird. Once selected click Close and your done.

June 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Yes, I fully agree, *if* that works. It didn't for me, and it looks like it hasn't for some others on this thread. Hence I posted what did work.

And, in case there are any other Kubuntu types on the thread, the equivalent path in KDE to what cariboo907 suggests for Gnome is System Settings > Default Applications. Definitely worth trying first.