PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] SuSE not working with Ubuntu Grub

brundlelinux
December 29th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I need a little bit of help editing my grub's menu.lst so that it will allow me to boot into OpenSuSE and the OpenSuSE Failsafe from a cold boot. Here's what I did and how I got to where I am currently:

I started off with Ubuntu loaded. I then added SuSE alongside of it as a dual boot. This overwrote the Ubuntu Grub with SuSE's grub. I prefer to not have graphical eye-candy at boot (SuSE grub has this), so I wanted to revert back to Ubuntu's grub. I re-assigned Ubuntu's grub to the MBR, and this allowed me to boot in Ubuntu. Since Stage2 is now the menu.lst from Ubuntu and not SuSE, I need to add the info for SuSE in order to have these options from a cold boot.

Having poked around on both Ubuntu and OpenSuSE forums a bit, I started by trying to add the following to the end of my menu.lst and then rebooting.

title Suse Linux
configfile (hd0,9)/boot/grub/menu.lst

(EDIT: I did change to (hd0,6) when trying the above)

The reboot went straight into Ubuntu without ever pausing or returning a grub menu. So, instead of trying the configfile method, I decided to try using a 'proper' stanza with UUID and kernel.

The issue I encountered here is that
blkid does not list a UUID for my SuSE partition, as seen here.
/dev/sda3: UUID="f466d040-f829-4e6c-a734-8a1ce15e4d6f" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda5: UUID="52fa83f3-1b01-4adc-8d88-08600044c9e0" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda6: UUID="804e7ae4-9735-45e9-909c-f73d66083f5e" TYPE="swap"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"

FYI, sda3 is a partition I set up to hold media, and sda5 is my Ubuntu partition. My SuSE partition is sda7.

My next step was to mount my SuSE partition under Ubuntu so I could go in and look at the menu.lst on SuSE's grub to retrieve the UUID. Here's what is listed in SuSE:

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Mon Dec 29 04:04:41 UTC 2008
default 0
timeout 8
##YaST - generic_mbr
gfxmenu (hd0,6)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 11.1 - 2.6.27.7-9
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.7-9-pae root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3120023A_3KA1K5FZ-part7 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3120023A_3KA1K5FZ-part6 splash=silent showopts vga=0x31a
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.7-9-pae

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe -- openSUSE 11.1 - 2.6.27.7-9
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.7-9-pae root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3120023A_3KA1K5FZ-part7 showopts ide=nodma apm=off noresume nosmp maxcpus=0 edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe vga=0x31a
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.7-9-pae

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic (/dev/sda5)###
title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic (/dev/sda5)
root (hd0,4)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Floppy
rootnoverify (fd0)
chainloader +1

Obviously, not UUIDs. Still, I did try and add those SuSE stanzas to the Ubuntu Grub menu.lst and reboot. Again, it went straight to Ubuntu and never paused or returned a grub menu.

I've been trying to find info on what to try next via Google and forums, but being a novice, I'm stumped. All the stuff I find about chainloading and grub menus leading to secondary grub menus is above my level of comprehension.

ATM, I cannot boot into SuSE at all. Anybody care to help out?

kunixos
December 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Could you post your complete menu.lst from your Ubuntu GRUB folder?

tommcd
December 29th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Again, it went straight to Ubuntu and never paused or returned a grub menu.

Do you not even see the grub menu when you boot? If that is so, then hit the Esc key on your keyboard as your computer boots and you should see the grub menu. To see it every time you boot, edit your menu.lst and put a comment (#) in front of the hiddenmenu line.

The configfile method should work if you have Suse's grub installed to Suse's root partition and Ubuntu's grub installed to the MBR. That is how I boot Debian from Ubuntu's grub on my laptop.

brundlelinux
December 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM
And THIS is why you don't screw around with Grub when you're tired. Worked perfectly after I commented out the hiddenmenu.

Thanks guys!!