PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-server/kernel/ubuntu/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko

Nicsoft
December 29th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Hello, I am a total newbie to this with Wireless and almost as much newbie on Linux. I have searched forums for two days now and getting very tired... Nothing has helped. :( When compiling things the header files cannot be found even though I have installed them. It's quite obvious reading the error messages when compiling that the header files are not installed where the the compiling process is looking. But that's not what I am wondering about here (unless some kind person want to help me out there as well...).

I am using 8.10 server version of Ubuntu.

I am having a WMP54G v4.1 card using Ralink rt61 chipset. I think I have to use the ndiswrapper to get it to work. I tried using the rt61 driver directly from Ralink but didn't succeed. (But I am most willing to listen if anyone has an idea)

I am using these instructions for ndiswrapper: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=25683

When I come to this instruction:
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper I get the following output:

FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-server/kernel/ubuntu/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko': No such file or directory

:confused:

What is the problem?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Niklas

Nicsoft
December 29th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Hello again,

This is what I did. I re-installed Ubuntu 8.10. Mainly because I wanted to start from a clean installation but also because I think I did install the acutal card after I installed Ubuntu before. Just to make sure I didn't do exactly in the same way again I installed the desktop version instead of the server version.

I used the Network Manager Applet in the top-left to configure my network and unplugged the fixed cable. Voiala, not it works.

So, I actually have no idea what all problems was, but most likely I messed up to much before and I didn't use the NM Applet before things were already destroyed.

Thanks for your time anyway.

Best Regards,
Niklas