PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Stopped Working and Network Manager dissapeared

Stoneyhill
December 29th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Im currently running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex on my desktop and until recently my wireless internet connection has been working flawlessly, HOWEVER now after shutting the desktop down one night, the wireless has decided that it doesnt want to play anymore and network manager has dissapeared from my notification area.

ive added "network MONITOR" to the notification area however upon clicking (right or left) I am given no options regarding networking and the only network listed in the properties section is the "lo loopback".

and upon running "ifconfig" in the terminal I no longer have any network devices other than the "lo loopback" one, where before i had at least two others...

Problems started when an update failed to complete totally one afternoon, the wireles worked fine for a few days but then just gave up the ghost..

i AM able to get access to a wired connection but it involves moving the desktop a LONG way, so i will try that as soon as i can, but since my WIRED network adapter isnt listed after ifconfig, i cant see why that would work either... hence me writing here, incidentally i couldnt locate a wireless network before, until i set up a wired connection briefly, at which point network manager discovered my wireless network, maybe i was just being stupid but...

if anyone has any idea what i can do here id be very grateful

Thanks