PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu LiveCD or Install freezing

Felipemv
December 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Hi to everyone.

I've been using Ubunto/Kubuntu for almost 3 years in my desktop without any major problem (only problems with wireless support).

I just bought a laptop, wich came with a poor Linux distro called RXART (a latin distro). I just formated it and installed Vista.
But i also installed the Ubuntu 8.04, the same i had on my desktop. It had a problem to recognize my wi-fi card, but i found a way to solve this.
Two weeks after, the 8.10 version was released. I downloaded the iso and installed on my desktop.

Now i decided to uptade my laptop Ubuntu to 8.10, i put the disk in the driver, selected "Install ubuntu", then the cd driver speeds up but slows down quickly and the system freezes at the menu screen (where you select LiveCD, Install Ubuntu, MemoryTest, Verify disc for errors...).
I serached some install parameters, and used "apm=off acpi=off noapic nolapic nopcmcia noapci nosmp pnpbios=off nomce" in addition to the default parameters, but then i have another problem: it changes the screen, looks like its loading its components but then this message appears "Kernel panic: -not syncing VSF Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block

As this laptop is from a local manufacturer (i live in brazil) i dont know if it would matter to say you the brand and model. I made a report in Everest and here it is

http://7438751453322949426-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/notep4dexe/report/Report.zip?attredirects=0&auth=ANoY7cqG1z_ZVh5-YnCTswD439_m6D7pLWk__ANiUGOecCDYXD0S47ZMYS54jYK3NT ByOIwE3MKb74KdBW51D-XZkin9-GNSZSoxNESfTjJa7cMN6z4CSZNfeNAop9FP4RkaBBkxYY1vapc Xe1l82Z_w9pCljfukaAT9FT5IPWo_F2Ub-cfEQZ1q0DKVPRnX5wU_bKiMLFKV_Z1RQSbbQVRzN7D93uHtHg% 3D%3D

I have seen many people are having trouble with 8.10, but i cound not find anyone with the same problem which found a way to make it work.

Thanks in advance
Happy 2009:)