PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Reset default image viewer?

2CV67
December 28th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Dumb question :oops:

My default image viewer (in Hardy) used to be Eye of Gnome, I think.
It just appeared as "Image Viewer" in lists.

I have been playing around with other viewers (gThumb, GPicView etc) and now want to reset EoG as my default Viewer, but cannot see how to do it.
I want to keep the others available, but not as default.

EoG is marked green in Synaptic, so is still installed OK.

EoG or "Image Viewer" does not even show in Applications > Graphics menu any more, though I can see it as "Image viewer" & select it OK by right-clicking an image.

Thanks for any suggestion!

thunk77
December 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Right click on the type of file you want handled by eog (e.g jpg file) select "properties" and on the "open with" tab select the program from the list provided.
Also, if you want eog displayed in the menu you have to right click on the menu, select "edit menus" and browse the applications available. I'm sure it's in there.

2CV67
December 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks thunk77 for those 2 suggestions:
Right click on the type of file you want handled by eog (e.g jpg file) select "properties" and on the "open with" tab select the program from the list provided.
Yes, I had found that, but did not want to go through all possible file types if I could do it in one move.

Also, if you want eog displayed in the menu you have to right click on the menu, select "edit menus" and browse the applications available. I'm sure it's in there.

OK! That did it!
Image Viewer is now in the menu & also acts as default for all the images I tried.
Sorry I could not figure/remember how to get stuff into menus, but I should remember now...

We can count that SOLVED now, thanks, but I wonder (without really needing to know) is there any way I could select another viewer from the list to be default for all types if I wanted to?
I have not figured which of the several viewer choices gets to be default if you don't select for each image type.