PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Special characters?

HavocXphere
December 27th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I'm trying to get access to special characters on Kubuntu 8.10.

I'm looking for the key combination so that I can type in the unicode/ascii/ansi code. Not interested in any charmaps, macros, add-on programs etc. There is also some story about a compose key where E and : are combined to form an umlaut...thats not what I'm looking for either.

Google suggests Ctrl-Shift-U-Code...but thats for gnome and doesn't work on my PC.

Anybody know how to do this?

eagle416
December 27th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I have the same problem. I'm thinking about using a keyboard remap to assign unused key combinations to accented letters, as I'm in French class and use them often.

Gotaro
January 31st, 2009, 10:30 PM
Bump for more attention! I just can't believe using alt codes is SO rare that even these guys at Ubuntu Forums don't know how to activate them.. ;) Has everyone just switched to compose keys and never looked back?

cwsnyder
January 31st, 2009, 10:49 PM
What are you trying to enter the special characters in? In OpenOffice.org Word Processor, you Insert >> Special Character then select the character. Trying another method did not work for me.

The method may be application specific.

MarblePanther
January 31st, 2009, 10:51 PM
Under Accessories in Gnome (just do a search in your kde start menu bar) is Character Map. Try that out.

Gotaro
January 31st, 2009, 11:12 PM
I'm trying to get access to special characters on Kubuntu 8.10.

I'm looking for the key combination so that I can type in the unicode/ascii/ansi code. Not interested in any charmaps, macros, add-on programs etc. There is also some story about a compose key where E and : are combined to form an umlaut...thats not what I'm looking for either.

Google suggests Ctrl-Shift-U-Code...but thats for gnome and doesn't work on my PC.

Anybody know how to do this?
Ctrl+Shift+U works on mine, but I just installed the Character Map app.. If that's what enabled the U-codes, then maybe there's an Alt code app, too?
--Edit--
And I insert these characters in everything.. I use them whenever I want to make a degrees symbol, upside down question/exclamation mark, TM, superscript 2,3 (squared, cubed). I guess compose keys are an okay replacement..