PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] sign on issue FF & ANY LINUX

oldsoundguy
December 27th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Here is the issue (really think it is an eBay issue, but thought I would ask.)

I have 7 computers .. 2 running xp sp 2, 3 running Intrepid (always up to date), one running Mint 5, one running Mythbuntu.

I can sign into eBay on the Windows boxes using FF.
I can NOT sign into eBay on ANY of the Linux boxes using FF
I CAN sign in on ALL of the computers using Opera.

I can get to the sign in page with FF, but once I fill in the blanks and submitt, NOTHING .. freezes the browser and the COMPUTER has to be shut down in order to re-lanuch the browser (ctrl/alt/backspace will not allow re-launch of the browser). FF will go everywhere else as a browser and search .. but NO SIGN ON on eBay. I CAN sign into these forums.

Reported this to eBay, but just wonder what it could be besides a screwed up re-direct code on the eBay site? (and why only FF?)

MarblePanther
December 27th, 2008, 12:04 AM
There is an add-on for firefox called User Agent Switcher that may help you out.

Try setting your agent to Opera within firefox and see if that works.

--i dont know if this will work, just an idea

oldsoundguy
December 27th, 2008, 12:14 AM
nope!! tried the user switch to both IE7 and to Opera .. same story. Guess they (eBay) will have to do some fix-em-up. That combo (FF and Linux) are the default on most Web books and it shuts out all of the nice new web books that peeps got for Christmas!
(I pointed that out in discussing the issue with a tech at eBay!)

MarblePanther
December 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Well I hope ebay gets their buttocks in gear!

Oh and sidenote: ebay runs Windows servers...hmmm black helicopters and conspiracy? :)

maybe try setting the os to windows with user agent?

oldsoundguy
December 27th, 2008, 12:47 AM
In actuality eBay is using Sun Microsystems Sparc!! .. they dumped MS years ago! Too costly, too many crashes, too many hackers getting in and shutting the system(s) down. For a while they used IBM Linux but Sun underbid IBM by a bunch!

As long as I have Opera, I can still get there to T.C.B. (and a dire moment, could actually go on line (shudder) with a Windows machine!)(I never go on line with a Windows box unless it is an IE ONLY site I need to visit, or for keeping all of the BS needed to run that POS safely UPDATED!)

MarblePanther
December 27th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Huh, that's odd Netcraft reports Windows Server running apache :confused: (windows server 2003 running apache??!!)

Maybe I should just ditch this clonky netcraft toolbar

oldsoundguy
December 27th, 2008, 01:22 AM
The head end MAY be an MS unit .. but, just like Lucas Film (both Skywalker and the Hollweird location), ILM, Pixar (which was part of Lucas at one time) and many others, all in house and fiber optic intertied are Sun.
EBay used to have a logo on most of their various country home pages .. a "powered by" logo. They dropped that a while back.

MarblePanther
December 27th, 2008, 01:26 AM
These big companies dont really have a choice!

All that lost profit would have to be embarrassing running windows ;)

oldsoundguy
December 27th, 2008, 01:47 AM
When EBay was running full Windows, you could count on a total lock up and crash at the rate of about once a week .. sometimes, in the early days, they would be down and out for more than a day until they found where the script kiddy had hacked them!

The first thing they did (and still do) is ban all Java uploads for everything, including the auctions. The only Java you will find on the site is the self contained stuff that THEY write and generate!

That did not solve the issue completely, so when their MS contract ran out .. they went shopping. (that was back in the days when Pierre ran the show.)

My only gripe with them now (other than their now exorbitant fees which has stopped me from selling anything REAL on the site), is that they keep fixing things that do NOT need fixing .. just to increase the eye candy!

This issue with the sign in page is a prime example .. they have farmed out the server link to Live.com, which is in India!

MarblePanther
December 27th, 2008, 01:51 AM
they keep fixing things that do NOT need fixing .. just to increase the eye candy!

This issue with the sign in page is a prime example .. they have farmed out the server link to Live.com, which is in India!

Superficiality and cheapness/out-sourcing...sadly all the too prevalent in this world

oldsoundguy
December 28th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Found the actual cause. No Script. Newest version not playing well with eBay's sign in page. Awaiting and answer from them.

but for now, solved.