PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to re-install the out-of-box Network Monitor?

bliffle
December 26th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Somehow in my travels through ubuntu-land (maybe when I was trying to install VZAccess software for a USB727 for EVDO service thru the cell network), I regressed my Network Monitor to "Network Monitor 2.12.1" which is awkward and doesn't show available wireless routers.

How can I re-install whatever came out of the box with the original ubuntu install?

Or, is there something better?

AlexBellisBrown
December 27th, 2008, 01:49 AM
You could try Wicd. Many people prefer it, if you want network manager, use the repositorys.

System-Admin-Synaptic Package Manager

Both are available there. However do read a how to about installing Wicd if you do. You need to remove network manager before you do. So read up. :)

AlexBellisBrown
December 27th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Actually, my mistake, Wicd is not available in Synaptic, its here:http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Sorry :)

bliffle
December 27th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I tried 'wicd' a couple years ago to solve some problem but I just had problems.

I'll try synaptic.

bliffle
December 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I can't find anything in Synaptic that looks like it'll solve my problem.

Basically, my problem right now is that the network monitor doesn't display a list of wifi routers and allow me to pick the one I want to use. It doesn't even show which one I'm using, all it shows is a bland 'eth1' or 'lo'. I can neither determine the wifi it's using nor can I select one from the ones I have available.