PDA

View Full Version : List of supported cards on newegg?

abuthemagician
December 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I am trying to build a front end / back end box for my living room, but cannot seem to find a sub $70 card on newegg.com that is supported (i have a $50 gift cert for newegg). Any ideas? I will be running it on a p4 3.2ghz system with 2gigs of ram and a 40gb hard drive to start, viewing OTA analog and digital. All i really want to do is time shifting on this box, and if i get cable i will build a back end to do scheduled recording.

abuthemagician
December 26th, 2008, 04:39 PM
looking around i see someone mention the Leadtek TV Tuner HDTV200 H works with mythbuntu. Anyone know anything about it?

blackoper
December 26th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I have 3 avermedia a180's in use in different systems and they work fine. Not sure if they work in 8.10 out of the box. for 8.04 I had to download the source and then get the nxt2004 firmware. oem version on newegg is $49.99

damis648
December 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Most Hauppagge's work OOTB.

abuthemagician
December 30th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I think i am going to go with a Mythtv backend only at this point and continue to use Vista ultimate on my home TV. My other thread got me pointed to MythTv Player and that will be perfect :)

newlinux
December 31st, 2008, 04:18 PM
I too have the avermedia A180 (pretty much the same as the digital side the Kworld 110/115, which I have 3 of). you probably can't find the 110/115 on newegg enymore, but some have gotten the kworld 120 to work with expiremental drivers. Why do you want OTA digital and analog? OTA Analog goes away in February...

Caps18
December 31st, 2008, 04:24 PM
Why would you be viewing OTA analog? Digital is so much better, and if you are in the US, it's going away finally on Feb 17.

The hard drive you have is too small.If you partition 10 GB for the OS and never want to record anything it's ok, but I would say that a good 500-1TB drive would come in handy. Being able to record shows and not care when they are on is the best part of having a DVR. But why wait until/if you get cable and have to build a backend?

abuthemagician
December 31st, 2008, 04:33 PM
Right now we only have OTA and we only get 2 channels in digital until i get an amplifier or a better antenna. I really only want to pause TV with the front end machine and if/when i get cable i will build a backend. Right now i have to turn my antenna to get certain channels so it defeats the purpose of having a backend to record static.

larsolav
December 31st, 2008, 07:54 PM
I think i am going to go with a Mythtv backend only at this point and continue to use Vista ultimate on my home TV. My other thread got me pointed to MythTv Player and that will be perfect :)

Just a little heads-up: If you go the Windows/MythTv Player route, remote control control may not work. see http://www.sudu.dk/mythtvplayer/forum/thread/17

abuthemagician
December 31st, 2008, 08:00 PM
Just a little heads-up: If you go the Windows/MythTv Player route, remote control control may not work. see http://www.sudu.dk/mythtvplayer/forum/thread/17

Good to know. Thanks :)

Caps18
December 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
I understand that there will be some people with issues getting all of the stations Feb 17. I meant to try connecting two antennas pointing in different directions into one TV card to see what would happen. You might want to ask over at AVSforum if doing that is possible.

Pausing live TV is worth setting this up for also.

But having two tuners and a large hard drive would make it so you don't have to be home in order to watch something on TV. You might want to think about building a good backend system even without cable.