PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with UTP ethernet on Medion Akoya E1210

aussiedaddy
December 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I have installed Ubuntu on a Medion Akoya E1210 using wubi. I had some issues trying to get the install to work - it seemed to be hanging when configuring apt. I got over that by pulling the ethernet cable.

I then had trouble downloading the package information after adding the additional (universe and multiverse) software sources. The network connection would work for a short burst and then slow down to almost nothing or stop altogether. I managed to get around this (whilst getting somewhat frustrated) by stopping and restarting sudo apt-get update.

Now I need to install a number of packages (with quite a few dependancies) such as glade-2, libglade2-dev, libgtk2.0-dev etc. The same thing is happening only worse.

Has anyone else struck this problem? Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix it? Or is there some workaround so I can install the required packages off a USB drive perhaps?

Thanks for reading my post

aussiedaddy
December 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I can throw some light on this problem. I am getting billions of dropped packets (as reported by ifconfig). So I guess I have a driver or a hardware problem. Driver is r8169.

aussiedaddy
December 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Having done some more reading I gather I may need to switch to the r8101 driver, but I haven't been able to either download it or activate it. Help please!