PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 not detecting ethernet

JaysonL
December 26th, 2008, 08:21 AM
i'm running ubuntu 8.04 on a evga 750i board and it doesn't seem to be recognizing my ethernet at all. it doesn't show up when it lists the hardware and nothing shows up when i search for it specifically. is there a driver that i need to get for it?

cariboo
December 26th, 2008, 10:45 AM
If you could post the output of:

sudo lshw -C network

and

sudo lshw -C bridge

in your next post, we may be able to help you with your proiblem.

Jim

steve263
April 19th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I've got the same problem as above, I've also installed Ubuntu 8.04, I'm trying to connect Ubuntu to the internet via ethernet. I've searched the internet and the page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo. My internet connection is a HSDPA usb modem which is connected to a WPA wi-fi router which I've connected to my computer via an ethernet cable, the computer doesn't have wi-fi though. My Network settings page in Ubuntu only has Wired Connection and Point to Point connections available in the list, I've seen some instructions that have a wireless connection option however I'm not sure if I should try to set up the wireless connection as I've connected the wi-fi router via ethernet.

At the moment I'm trying to set up the connection in Ubuntu Network Settings as a wired connection with configuration as DHCP but this isn't working. Any suggestions on what I should try next to connect to the internet would be much appreciated. Also, I was thinking of downloading Ubuntu 8.10 to see if it would make the internet set up process easier, would you suggest that I keep trying to set up the internet on the current version 8.04 or download Ubuntu 8.10? Thanks heaps.

This is the output of sudo lshw -C network:

*-generic
description: Ethernet interface
product: Illegal Vendor ID
vendor: Illegal Vendor ID
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: ff
serial: 00:21:85:00:52:52
size: 1GB/s
capacity: 1GB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: bus_master vga_palette cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.2LK duplex=full latency=255 link=yes maxlatency=255 mingnt=255 module=r8169 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1GB/s

This is the output of sudo lshw -C bridge:

*-pci
description: Host bridge
product: 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
version: 02
clock: 33MHz
configuration: driver=agpgart-intel module=intel_agp
*-pci:0
description: PCI bridge
product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1
physical id: 1c
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.0
version: 01
capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
*-pci:1
product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2
physical id: 1c.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.1
capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
*-pci:2
product: 82801 PCI Bridge
physical id: 1e
bus info: pci@0000:00:1e.0
version: e1
capabilities: pci subtractive_decode bus_master cap_list
*-isa
description: ISA bridge
product: 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge
physical id: 1f
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.0
capabilities: isa bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0

Iowan
April 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
*-generic
description: Ethernet interface
product: Illegal Vendor ID
vendor: Illegal Vendor ID

A quick lookup (http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/) of your MAC address suggests the vendor is MICRO-STAR INT'L CO.,LTD. Ther's a list of supported cards... I'll try to find/search it.

steve263
April 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
A quick lookup (http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/) of your MAC address suggests the vendor is MICRO-STAR INT'L CO.,LTD. Ther's a list of supported cards... I'll try to find/search it.

Thanks for that!

Yashiro
April 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Type in a terminal:

lspci -nn
Paste the output.

sudo lsmod | grep eth
Paste the output.

sudo modprobe forcedeth

Might make it spring into action. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest using a newer version of ubuntu.
The kernel drivers in 8.04 are pretty out of date and your board is somewhat new for that kernel. It's no excuse I know but that's how it is. So unless there is a newer kernel module, which is possible, it'd be faster to just use a newer ubuntu version.

Or you could try taking forcedeth.ko from an intrepid installation although I'm dubious that would work.