PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Desktop Static IP Issues

Dejai
December 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Hello I am trying to set up a static internal IP for my Ubuntu 8.04 desktop edition(That is to change it from DHCP to a static IP on my network).
I edited /etc/network/interfaces and added:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1

I then restarted the network.

/etc/init.d/networking restart

However when I went to access the internet I couldn't... Now I know I am now meant to edit the DNS server settings but I am confused as to what that actually is and what I have to actually do. It wasn't fully explained to me as how to find the name server with ifconfig -a.

So to my knowledge I have done the same as manual configuration to network settings on the wired connection as you could do through the network manager but I am not sure what to do now to get my static IP working for outside my lan...

If I change back to DHCP access to the internet works again.

Two resources I used and I tried both ways were:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/change-ubuntu-desktop-from-dhcp-to-a-static-ip-address/

and

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/change-ubuntu-server-from-dhcp-to-a-static-ip-address/

If you need any more information just ask. Thanks.:guitar:

namdung
December 26th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Are u able to ping ur gateway and any private ip eg. 74.125.45.100?

To edit DNS entries

sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf

Code:

nameserver 192.168.0.1

Replace with ur n/w details.

Dejai
December 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Yes well thats the thing, the resolv.conf has some stuff in it relating to the network which was determined by the DHCP but when I switch to static ip it just doesn't seem to work. What do I have to replace the DHCP with?

namdung
December 26th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Yes well thats the thing, the resolv.conf has some stuff in it relating to the network which was determined by the DHCP but when I switch to static ip it just doesn't seem to work. What do I have to replace the DHCP with?

If you're able to ping a Public IP (74.125.45.100) but not a domain (google.com), that usually means that the DNS server u've specified is not resolving.

Back to basics again. set ur static IP

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

The code should look like (replace with ur n/w details):

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.10.52
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.10.1

auto eth0

Your DNS entry

sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf