PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DHCP lease times very short after installing 8.10

quonsar
December 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
What is up with this? Every 4 to 12 minutes, DHCP is renewing my IP lease. I never saw this on Hardy. My log is pretty much nothing but:

Dec 24 15:51:40 tsidkenu dhclient: DHCPREQUEST of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on eth0 to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 67
Dec 24 15:51:40 tsidkenu dhclient: DHCPACK of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Dec 24 15:51:40 tsidkenu dhclient: bound to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -- renewal in 931 seconds.

every few minutes.

????:confused:????

dnanders
February 24th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Hi,

I am having the same problems. My network connection drops every 5 minutes. After searching on the web for a while I was able to piece together that it is my DHCP lease being way too short. How do we adjust the lease?

"bound to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -- renewal in 667 seconds."

Iowan
February 24th, 2009, 04:21 AM
There is a line in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf:
#send dhcp-lease-time 3600;but it's commented out. My DHCP server has the following lines in /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf:
default-lease-time 604800;
max-lease-time 604800;
subnet ...
# default-lease-time 600;
# max-lease-time 7200;
}
If the default-lease-time option got uncommented in the subnet declaration...

dnanders
February 24th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I played around with that and it didn't make a difference. I find that it will pull the IP from the router but make the lease only 600 seconds or less. All my other systems get correct leases except for Intrepid 8.10.

I just discovered the /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth0.leases file. In that file it has a lease time of 1440 which would be about 720 seconds which is 50% of the lease time when the client will request a new lease. So I updated that file and restarted. I just checked the file after a reboot and it has been set back to 1440 after I changed the number. Does anyone know how that file gets created? Maybe that is my answer?
I have tried static IPs as well and the connection is still dropping every 5 minutes.

dnanders
February 26th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I played around with that and it didn't make a difference. I find that it will pull the IP from the router but make the lease only 600 seconds or less. All my other systems get correct leases except for Intrepid 8.10.

I just discovered the /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth0.leases file. In that file it has a lease time of 1440 which would be about 720 seconds which is 50% of the lease time when the client will request a new lease. So I updated that file and restarted. I just checked the file after a reboot and it has been set back to 1440 after I changed the number. Does anyone know how that file gets created? Maybe that is my answer?
I have tried static IPs as well and the connection is still dropping every 5 minutes.

So I was able to get the lease time way up but that is no help. It still drops the connection every 6 minutes and reconnects.

Anyone have a solution?