PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] What version is this???

sanubie
December 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Okay this might sound stupid.... how exactly do you tell which version of Ubuntu you're using? I am just starting to use my computer again. And I've downloaded all the updates. Shouldn't I have the latest version of Ubuntu?:confused:

Nepherte
December 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
You can type this in a terminal:

lsb_release

When a new distribution version is released (e.g. 8.10), you will not automatically update to it. You will only get the updates of the current release. However, I believe you should get a notification that there's a new release.

sanubie
December 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM

lsb_release

it says

No LSB modules are available.

RomeReactor
December 24th, 2008, 01:36 PM

lsb_release

Shouldn't that be:

cat /etc/lsb-release

Joeb454
December 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I believe
lsb_release -a would also work :)

Nepherte
December 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Perhaps

lsb_release -a
gives you more information.

RomeReactor's suggestion might work to. It should basically do the same as the command.

sanubie
December 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM
When a new distribution version is released (e.g. 8.10), you will not automatically update to it. You will only get the updates of the current release. However, I believe you should get a notification that there's a new release.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. When I first came back there was a bunch of updates, and it took forever. Maybe it updated to the new version and I just didn't realize it. But I still can't tell. Some things are working better now...

sanubie
December 24th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Okay!!

It says I'm still using 8.04....

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=hardy
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.04.1"

How do I update to the latest version?

Nepherte
December 24th, 2008, 01:41 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#Network%20Upgrade%20for%20Ubuntu%20Deskt ops%20(Recommended)