PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Returning TAR_FD to tar in bash script

Paddy Landau
December 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
I wish to automate tar with multi-volume spanning. For that, I need a script.

The following link gives a script written in sh (using #!/bin/sh)
http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/Multi_002dVolume-Archives.html#SEC156

The script works, but I need to modify this script a little. However, I'm totally unfamiliar with sh, and I'm familiar with bash. Thus, I've rewritten this in bash (using #!/bin/bash).

But...

The sh script sets TAR_FD as:

echo ${name:-$TAR_ARCHIVE}-$TAR_VOLUME >&$TAR_FDThe equivalent in bash, I thought, was:

TAR_FD=${NEWNAME}(where ${NEWNAME} contains the new name)

However, tar doesn't receive this new name and continues to reuse the old name.

I've also tried

export TAR_FD=${NEWNAME}without success.

How do I return TAR_FD back to tar?

Thanks.

Paddy Landau
December 24th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Doh! I've answered my own question.

TAR_FD is a file descriptor. The answer is the same as for sh:

echo ${NEWNAME} >&${TAR_FD}

scorp123
December 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM
The following link gives a script written in sh (using #!/bin/sh)
http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/Multi_002dVolume-Archives.html#SEC156

The script works, but I need to modify this script a little. However, I'm totally unfamiliar with sh, and I'm familiar with bash. I was under the impression that /bin/sh and /bin/bash are one and the same on Linux?

Ubuntu uses a "light-weight" version called "dash" per default, but "dash" should be 100% compatible to "bash". I have seen a few rare cases though where for some odd reason a script did not function as intended. In that case you'd have to disable "dash" and reroute "/bin/sh" to "bash" again. In a shell, please type this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash When asked if you want to use "dash" as "/bin/sh" say "No" and it will reroute it back to "bash" again. Before that change becomes active you will have to logout and login back again.

Paddy Landau
December 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I was under the impression that /bin/sh and /bin/bash are one and the same on Linux?
Well, I'm not exactly an expert, so I go by the fact that they have different manuals (man sh and man bash), and that I don't understand the sh script.

Thanks for the ideas. I have it working now.

scorp123
December 24th, 2008, 11:36 PM
man sh and man bash For me the two open the same thing: bash's manual ...

Paddy Landau
December 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM
For me the two open the same thing: bash's manual ...
I'm guessing that's because you did what you described:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash When asked if you want to use "dash" as "/bin/sh" say "No" and it will reroute it back to "bash" again.
My man bash and man sh are definitely different. Briefly looking at the two manuals, I notice that they look mostly the same.