PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ordered System76 Yesterday

rtrahan
December 22nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
I appreciate all of the help I received from this site. I was stuck between a Dell with Ubuntu and System76 with Ubuntu and was convinced(rightly so) that System76 is the way to go....Right now I am experimenting with a live CD I got on the back of a beginning Ubuntu book.

Quick question: In the name of using shortcuts and not mouse, is there a shortcut to getting terminal up without using the mouse thru applications?

Thanks in advance.

thomasaaron
December 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
If you go to System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts, you can see what keyboard shortcuts are assigned to various functions. On mine, opening a terminal is Ctrl-Alt-Z.

It's probably the same on yours too.

ProfDecoy
December 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
By default, Alt-F2 will bring up the run dialog in Ubuntu. The run terminal option appears to be disabled by default in 8.10. However, it is configurable in the System\Preferences\Keyboard Shortucts option. When the run dialog comes up, you can type in xterm or gnome-terminal to bring up a terminal window with out needing a mouse.

I've personally reconfigured the run dialog to Super-R (Windows Throwback there) and the terminal to Super-T.

-Edit-
My preferences show Mod4 instead of Super and I don't remember how I got it to work now... :-(

EnderEcho
December 26th, 2008, 02:56 AM
You could also just drag from the applications -> terminal onto the top toolbar. Its still clicking, but its right there and it looks nice.