PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't play DVDs on Intrepid!

mag1strate
December 22nd, 2008, 12:36 AM
I have intrepid x64 on an AMD^64 system and I can't seem to get any of my dvds to work on my system. I installed mplayer hearing it could work, but it only plays it scrambled. Is there anything I can install for the players to work?

night_fox
December 22nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
Have you installed ubuntu-restricted-extras?

laurielegit
December 22nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
It could be that your dvds are incrypted. If so, try this:

The movie players provided in Ubuntu can play back unencrypted DVDs. However, many commercial DVDs are encrypted with a weak algorithm called Content Scrambling System (CSS).You can enable playback of encrypted DVDs with MPlayer, xine and Totem-xine by installing libdvdcss2.

The CSS key sets are licensed to manufacturers who incorporate them into products such as DVD drives, DVD players and DVD movie releases.Most DVD players are equipped with a CSS Decryption module.

Installing libdvdcss2

First you need to install the libdvdread3 package using the following command

sudo apt-get install libdvdread3

Now download the libdvdcss2 library using the following command

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

For AMD64 Users

First you need to install the following packages

sudo apt-get install debhelper build-essential fakeroot

Now download the libdvdcss2 library using the following command

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

That’s it now Your DVD player should now play back encrypted DVDs.You can open your Movie player from Applications > Sound & Video

Best of luck,

Laurie

jimmy the saint
December 22nd, 2008, 12:47 AM
ubuntu-restrictd-extras should do the job and it is dead simple.
One final method, which I only mention because it will also make it easy to install some other very cool things as well.
If you add the medibuntu repository, you get access to a few extras like google earth, some good codecs and a few others. Details here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

night_fox
December 22nd, 2008, 01:12 AM
Ramen!

Tatty
December 22nd, 2008, 01:30 AM
As Jimmy the saint said, you need to add the medibuntu repo, then you can install the libdvdcss2 package from there.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu#Playing Encrypted DVDs

If it still fails to work then you may need to install regionset, and use it to set your dvd region.