PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade or fresh install ?

lightnin
December 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
I tried to upgrade to 8.04 when it appeared on my update screen (ages ago now). It failed and it took me a while to get 7.10 back up and running and my home directory back again.

so , I am thinking its time to upgrade. There are a couple of packages I want newer versions of, and they are for hardy not gutsy.

so ... should I upgrade to 8.04 then 8.10 or backup my home and do a fresh install to 8.10 ?

Ive seen howto's on backup/restore for the home, but will my 7.10 home all work in my 8.10 install ?

I am most interested in my firefox settings / passwords / bookmarks etc ... still working when I am done.

Ta

Rich

lightnin
December 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM
Bump :)

skern03
December 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
There's a poll out there of problems with install/upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10. There seem to be a lot of issues with 8.10. 20% of Installations failed; 26% of upgrades failed. Only 10% in each category succeeded flawlessly. This is out of just under 1800 respondents.

Here's the poll so you can make an informed decision.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963853&highlight=install+problems+ibex

I tried four times on two different drives with zero success, so I went back to 8.04.

My personal vote although I'm afflicted with the newbie and id-ten-t syndromes, is for a clean install to 8.04. If that works, then MAYBE if you're adventuresome, try 8.10.

In any case, I do a partitioned install - 5 GB to / (root), 1 GB to swap, and the rest /home. JMHO and I'm sure some will disagree.

zvacet
December 22nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
I am most interested in my firefox settings / passwords / bookmarks etc ... still working when I am done.

If you put your home back properly after upgrade everything will work for you.I donīt know what are you realy want,LTS or latest release.In both cases I will use alternate CD.

markbuntu
December 22nd, 2008, 01:01 AM
8.10 is not ironed out yet and will not be supported as long as 8.04. If you are wanting to do upgrade, you need to have your 7.10 fully updated and then upgrade to 8.04 and update that before upgrading to 8.10 which will most likely not work.

A clean install in a new partition or new hard drive will be a far easier path though the bugs should all be worked out of the 7.10-8.04 upgrade path by now.

You can do a semi-clean install if you do not choose format for your partition. Your /home will be saved.