PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox problem

marmot1101
December 21st, 2008, 03:39 AM
I recently received my Pangolin Performance and love it. Aside from one thing. There is one particular website that I go to quite often (landgrab.net) that causes some really goofy browser behavior. The first thing that I notice is that the browser effectively hangs once the site begins to load. Then the screen goes temporarily grey. The part that goes grey is just the content portion of the browser. Then after a few seconds, the browser returns to full color, and any actions that I tried to take while the browser hung, catch up. This cycle repeats multiple times.

Does anyone have any tips on how to solve this? Site works fine on firefox on many other machines of varying OS's.

Guille Damke
December 21st, 2008, 04:45 AM
Hi,

I tried to load the website you said and I also have that problem, it also hangs for a while on my pangolin (previously I thought that it was a problem with the flashplayer, probably you can try the version 10 for 64 bit anyway, if you experience some sporadic problems when youtube loads videos, for example).
I have read that some people have the same problem, but I think it has to do with Firefox itself.
Check this, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=997919

marmot1101
December 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM
On suspicion that it maybe a firefox problem, I installed the newest version of Opera. Same result. I am going to try some of the other fixes in the thread that you posted. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

thomasaaron
December 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
I just tested landgrab.net on both a 32-bit install and a 64-bit install. It didn't hang for me on either one.

The site doesn't look to me like it uses Java or Flash, so (in my mind) that rules out those options.

Since you used Opera too, that would *seem* to rule out any misbehaving plugins.

The web browser turning gray isn't really a problem, *per se*. It just means it's working and hogging a lot of CPU time and wants you to wait.

Guille Damke
December 23rd, 2008, 06:15 AM
Hi Thomas,

Just curious, which version of Firefox are you running?
Did you try to scroll up and down in the website of the first post in the link I posted before (which is this one: http://lubosz.de/Firefox3PerformanceBug/ )? My Pangolin has a fast CPU (2.53 GHz) and 4GB ram, and that website has just images, but it takes all my cpu and I get the gray-window behavior for a few seconds.

Cheers,
Guille.

thomasaaron
December 23rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
I'm running 3.0.4. However, I see that there are a bunch of updates awaiting me. Unfortunately, I'm traveling and can't really update my computer until I get back to work next Monday. If you want to bump this thread then, I'll update and test with a Pangolin.

Yes, I can scroll on that website, no problem.