PDA

View Full Version : Tuner Question...

ukulele_ninja
December 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Is an HD tuner necessary if I get my signal via cable or satellite? I was under the assumption that it only mattered for OTA signals but I wanted to verify this before I bought one. Thanks!:guitar:

4dognight
December 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
If you want to watch channels that are in HD, you will need an HD capable tuner. If you get an analog only tuner, you cant tune in an HD signal.

ukulele_ninja
December 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
thats for OTA or through a cable/satallite connection?

tgm4883
December 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I think I know what you are trying to ask, and to clarify, Digital != HD.

You are better off getting a digital tuner and not an analog one. The digital changeover that happens in the US in Feb 09 affects only broadcast (OTA). However, IIRC that does not mean that your cable company will continue to broadcast an analog signal (they may be mandated to do it until 2012, but i'm not sure about that).

It may also be difficult to find a analog tuner now. Just go with a digital one or a hybrid.

4dognight
December 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Both. HD is HD, doesnt matter where you get it from.

Cable or Satellite doesnt mean you are getting HD, on all your channels. Digital doesnt mean its HD. So, to answer your question. You do not need an HD tuner, just because your getting cable or satellite. But if you are expecting to watch/record channels in HD, then yes you will need an HD tuner, whether its satellite, cable or over the Air.

ukulele_ninja
December 19th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Ok thanks for clearing that up!