PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System76 vs Dell

rtrahan
December 19th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I have Dell and have had for some years...I loaded Ubuntu on one and quite frankly it hasn't been the greatest experience, I still can't get wireless internet. So what compelling reason should I plunk down $800 for a Dell with Ubuntu or a System 76 with Ubuntu..will all my problems go away because it was pre-installed instead of off a disc on the back of a Ubuntu Beginner's Book? And please don't tell me about all the great support I'll get from the Ubuntu forums, from watcing the forum I may post a problem now and in one hour there are another 50 posts behind me, there are too many problems for anyone to help regardless of how many mederators there are..and if there are that many problems then what's the value added when I could use window with no problems.

thomasaaron
December 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
will all my problems go away

Yes. Our hardware works out of the box. We also provide phone, email and forum support.

What's the value added when I could use window with no problems

Using windows with no problems is pretty unlikely. With open source you have a much faster rate of development and bug fixes, a better operating system, 15K pieces of free software, no viruses, better desktop effects, etc.

I'll let other forum members add to this list...

rtrahan
December 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Thank you for your input..all I need is some re-enforcement. And it's common sense to me that if you want a Ford Truck then you go to a Ford dealership...just like if I want Linux I should go to a company that specialized in Linux, ie System76 instead of Dell...I guess I just need some positive feedback

Spr0k3t
December 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM
System76 has been great for me. Granted I'm a new customer, but I can say the experience so far has been nothing less than supurb. Dell on the other hand... it's like playing craps with only 1 die, you just can't win. Tally up the number of support nightmare stories vs great experience stories... you will see why I chose system76.

hkarl629
December 20th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I was a total neophyte when it came to Linux/Ubuntu. I knew I wanted to make a change away from MS. I opted for System 76 and have not been sorry. My Serval worked out of the box. Their responses to my questions have been prompt and helpful (and there was no language barrier!).
Try it, you'll like it.

Karl in SC

Ian9056
December 20th, 2008, 03:21 AM
As someone else who is new to Ubuntu, I figured I'd chime in as well. I got a Pangolin about a month ago, and couldn't be happier.

More importantly (with regards to your post) wireless has been incredibly easy, there was no configuration necessary. For what it's worth, it also picks up a lot more signals than my work laptop (a 6 month old Macbook Pro).

earrame
December 20th, 2008, 06:01 AM
just like if I want Linux I should go to a company that specialized in Linux, ie System76 instead of Dell

I weighed that comparison as well. I knew I was going to buy a Linux notebook computer and spent some time over a period of several weeks last summer looking hard at the offerings. I got to the point of knowing it was going to be Ubuntu and I had it narrowed down to System76 and Dell.

Lurking these forums was one of the key deciding factors; Seeing the System76 guys themselves here day after day, seeing the mountain of positive feedback from users to numerous to count.

I became comfortable with System76 as a supplier. At that point I finally did make the same connection you mentioned. Why buy a Linux computer from a Windows company?

I couldn't be happier with this Pangolin or with System76.

theTOman
December 20th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Got one (Pangolin) last year, in November.

Got another one for my wife, 3 months later...

Our house is cyber-peaceful, techno-harmony reigns and binary-bliss is total!

Marc Bélanger
Toronto, Canada

weverjames
December 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM
if you want the smoothest, worry free experience in linux, you have to go with ubuntu and system 76, period!.
They offer the last selection of processors, hardrives (SSD!) and custom laptops.
You may pay higher price than building a laptop yourself, but you can rest sure that it will work since first minute and it will always work, no matter how many updates and upgrades you go through. Although I have criticised them in some posts, I can also recognise their strengths.
I only wish they could give a Christmas discount in order to afford the configuration I am interested in....:(

rtrahan
December 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys you've been a great help. It was one of those things where I had no one to ask personally because everyone I know is either Windows or Mac...I think I will like this community...I'm sold, my wife even ok'd the deal :)

Thanks a lot

theTOman
December 20th, 2008, 10:59 PM
hum... Maybe we should have abstained from replying...

Coz'if things continue to go as they do, System76 is going to get big, and then bigger and then HUGE! And then they'll go public, with shareholders and all, and Tom will have to move to Bengalore, India, to supervise the System76 24/7 Service Centre, and he will not have time anymore to attend this Forum, let alone talk with us. And then the shareholders will be all over the place, demanding more and more return for their investment, and then System76 will have to lower the "overhead" (i.e.: use cheap hardware) and "rationalize" their personel (i.e.: fire poor Tom), and increase their "profitability" (i.e.: raise their price), and...

...And we will have created another corporate monster! These entities that have a behavior that in a normal clinical setting, you would qualify as totally, shamelessly "anti-social"!!!

So... Don't tell, keep System76 a well kept secret, please...

:-)

Guille Damke
December 21st, 2008, 01:48 AM
rtrahan, my answer comes 2-hours later than you did your decision, but I want to quickly share my experience anyway.
I did some "research" for Ubuntu Laptops before buying. I thought Dell would be the option, but I was scared about stories with defective hardware and bad customer support. Also a MacBook was another option for me, but for the same price I got a better and faster machine from system76 and also longer warranty coverage (3 years).
I got a Pangolin Performance in late October, with Ubuntu 8.04. It worked out of the box (wireless, webcam among others). I have had some questions about upgrading and sound in Skype (the last I think does not work straightforward in 8.04) but Thomas, from system76, answered quickly.
Finally, I upgraded to 8.10 some weeks ago doing a clean install (formating your "/" partition), although I was a little concerned about how it would work, but it works GREAT! I have no problems using Skype (which I need to talk to my family) and the wireless applet is considerably better than in 8.04. I recommend it 100%. This is my first laptop, but I have been using gnu/linux for some years in desktops (and Ubuntu in the last couple of years at home), but I think Ubuntu is really easy to use even if you have no experience at all, and even easier with a system76 machine working out-of-the-box plus the support from the company and the Ubuntu/gnu-linux community.

Cheers.

ProfDecoy
December 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM
I've been eagerly waiting for my Wild Dog desktop since I ordered it on the 10th. I'd been looking for a new desktop and didn't want to build one from scratch like I have in the past (wanted to have "one-stop shop" for the warranty, if ever needed).

I had considered getting an Ubuntu system from Dell, but was less than impressed by their sole bottom of the barrel choice for getting a desktop with Ubuntu, and I didn't need the ultra-performance of their workstation line to get RHEL on one.

I found out about System76 on (I think) Slashdot, and could barely restrain myself from ordering a new desktop from them immediately. Though, I succumbed a few days later.

It was definitely nice to be able to order a high(er) end desktop with out worrying about having to pay the Windows tax. Here's to System76 and the hope that the weather doesn't delay my system too badly. [-o<