PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install secong hard drive on 8.04 server

john.gregory
December 18th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I just installed ebox (based on ubuntu 8.04 server). I am using it as a file server and want to add another hard drive to the server. I have attached the second drive. It has old partitions on it that I want to delete and reformat. How do I do this from the command line? The drive is recognized when I run sudo fdisk -l. It has 4 separate linux partitions on it now.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm not a complete newbie; but feel free to treat me like one.

john

RealPSL
December 19th, 2008, 06:02 AM
First make sure that you backup anything on the new drive that you want to keep because we are going to destroy the data.

sudo fdisk /dev/sdb

This assumes that the second drive you want to remove the partitions from is /dev/sdb.

Use "p" to print the partitions on the drive from the fdisk prompt.

Use "d" to delete any existing partition that is on the drive.

Once all the partitions have been deleted use "n" to create a new partition of type primary and it should be the first partition.

Save your changes using "w". I have not done this in a while and you make have to reboot for the kernel to reload the partition table at least that is how it used to work.

The next step is to create a new file system on the drive. Assuming the drive as sdb and it is the first partition run the command
sudo mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1

Use
blkid to list the UUID of each drive. Create the directory you want to mount the drive to e.g.
sudo mkdir /big_space

Add the following line to /etc/fstab using
gksu gedit /etc/fstab

"UUID=insert-your-uuid-from-blkid-here /big_space ext3 defaults 0 2"

Note that the above is one line. Now mount the file system with
sudo mount /big_space

john.gregory
December 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks RealPSL. Problem solved.