PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] thought/question

moore.bryan
December 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM
would there be a relatively simple way to have the following by default:
if the laptop is plugged-in and the battery is full, use battery until it reaches 10% and then recharge/use the ac?

darkcard
December 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Just wondering, why would you want that to happen? It might wear down your battery.

moore.bryan
December 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
well, i've read several articles about how it actually decreases battery life when a battery is charging when it isn't low on power, so...

darkcard
December 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that when your computer detects the power cable and that the battery is full it runs directly from the power cable. My computer has a bad battery and it does not work, and I run right from the cable. So I'd have to say my computer CANT be running off the battery.

moore.bryan
December 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
i'm sure that's true. i've just read a number of articles about how having batteries sit 'dormant' is no good for them and regular discharging/charging is good for them. see, my lappie is usually just a desktop replacement, so it's only rarely unplugged and--possibly--not prolonging any life of my battery.

Captain_tux
December 19th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Is that possible with Windows, Mac, *Nix?

moore.bryan
December 19th, 2008, 11:50 PM
i don't know/think so... kinda why i was wondering and put it out to the community...