PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu server, no server services

sorrow777
December 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
My question is how would I make sure my Ubuntu server isn't trying to be a server on our network.

In the past when working with solaris I would ensure to touch /etc/notrouter

What sort of things like that exist for Ubuntu server.

Also i would imagine i could ensure that dns is not enabled. I guess i'm looking for a list i could use to ensure i don't run into any problems on our network. i would hate to put my incoming box on the network and forget something like it acting as a primary dhcp server! (:

thanks in advance

Titan8990
December 18th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Unlike many other distros, Ubuntu does not have server apps installed by default.

I would nmap scan the machine from another computer on the network to ensure Ubuntu is not listening on any ports.

capscrew
December 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
You can scan your local host from the CLI with:
netstat -plntu

sorrow777
December 18th, 2008, 08:04 PM
yeah and |grep LISTENING or open depending on whats what.

Ok so the system76 box i get with 8.10 shouldn't have any server apps running. I'll check before i get it on the network but its good to know.

thanks guys/gals

albinootje
December 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Ok so the system76 box i get with 8.10 shouldn't have any server apps running. I'll check before i get it on the network but its good to know.

If you use the ubuntu-server install cdrom, then you get a choice of which services you would like to install.

And concerning DHCP, by default you can install a dhcp-server in Ubuntu, but i always needed to edit the /etc/dhcpd.conf file because a subnet declaration was needed for one of the interfaces.
It's pretty unlikely that the default example dhcpd.conf is gonna start right away and cause trouble.

cdenley
December 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM

The "l" switch will only show listening processes.

p = process name/id (must be run as root)
l = listening processes
n = don't resolve hostnames
t = tcp ports
u = udp ports

man netstat

Iowan
December 19th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I suppose ps aux would yield TOO much information...

cdenley
December 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I suppose ps aux would yield TOO much information...

It doesn't really help to determine what TCP or UDP ports you're listening on. Once you run "netstat -plntu", that can help determine more about a listening process.

sorrow777
December 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I will try all of these things once i get my system76 box. I'm gettin an eland pedestal quad xeon 4gb ram and 4 250g drives (: sexy right?

I'm going to use the virutalization kernel to do testing of solaris 10 builds and so forth.