View Full Version : [kubuntu] LinuxMCE box not play with others on network

December 18th, 2008, 08:02 AM
My LinuxMCE (Kubuntu 7.10) box is accessing the internet fine through either of its NICs. I can neither ping other machines on my private network nor can they ping the LinuxMCE unit. I'm sure there is something fundamental I am missing within the Linux configuration.

My setup is
DSL modem
Wifi router (DHCP server)
| |
| wire
| |
| +-- Windows XP Pro running McAfee network mapping SW (static IP)
| |
| +-- LinuxMCE (static IP)
+ PlayStation3
+ Wii
+ Windows XP laptop

The McAfee network mapping SW sees all units correctly.
All units excluding the MCE box are pingable from the
Windoz Pro unit and the laptop.

> ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:...
inet addr: Bcast: Mask:
inet6 addr: ... Scope:Link
RX packets:1280 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:8682 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:966237 (943.5 KB) TX bytes:788431 (769.9 KB)

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:...
inet addr: Bcast: Mask:
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:21 Base address:0xe800

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr: Mask:
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
RX packets:123 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:123 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:9064 (8.8 KB) TX bytes:9064 (8.8 KB)

February 26th, 2009, 11:21 PM
When I first set up ubuntu I could ping XP PC's, but not Vista. It may bee that the PC's are set up not to be pinged (this is a way intruders can test what is on the network). Don't assume the problem is with the new linux box. Windows is grubby, historically networking especially so.

I know this is a bit fundamental, but have you gone onto the original McAfee network manager (the one the network is named by) and accepted the linux box as a friend rather than intruder? It may just be that McAfee is doing its job - not letting unknown PC's into the boxes it is installed on.

I know when the PC I nominated as the manager (the first one to boot on the network when first installing the McAfee network suite) is switched off I cannot attach to any windows shares or devices from linux, so I'm guessing McAfee assigns this PC to act like a DNS - as soon as it comes up again everything works. I discovered this because I wanted to turn that PC into an ubuntu desktop (& tested it with a live CD).

You can remove all thee McAfee network management settings, PC by PC, and unless the service is disabled as a windows service, it is automatically re-assigned to the first PC that comes back onto the network (you can download a tool at McAfee to remove the existing PC configuration). I have asked McAfee how to incorporate ubuntu into this setup, but I think they only support RedHat & Suse & Novell linuxes. Unless I hear otherwise I reckon disabling the McAfee windows-based network security & let linux manage the network is the best solution.

February 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Hate to sound like Spock but fascinating. I had not idea McAfee formed network relationships. Please post any URLs you obtain from McAfee.